Apple Pay is the most popular mobile payment service in the United States with 43.9 million people having used it at least once. If you are one of the millions of people who uses the service to pay for purchases, you’ll want to know which stores take it as a payment method. After all, not all stores do in fact take Apple Pay.
If you shop at Safeway, you’ll want to know whether you can use Apple Pay in-store and online.
There are 908 Safeway locations in the United States.
You can find Safeway stores in these states:
- New Mexico
- South Dakota
- District Of Columbia
So, if you live in one of those states and often shop at your local Safeway, then you might want to know if it takes Apple Pay.
Apple Pay is an awesome mobile payment service from Apple Inc. It allows users to make payments in person, in iOS apps, and on the web. It is supported on the iPhone, Apple Watch, iPad, and Mac.
Panel Payday: Earn up to $75 per survey. They also pay up to $50/hr for mystery shopping. Join Now!
InboxDollars: Paid over $57 Million to members to watch videos, take surveys, shop and more. Get $5 instantly!
Opinion OutPost: Want fun & high paying surveys? This is the survey site for it! Join Opinion Outpost!
Branded Surveys: Get $1 instantly just for joining for free. Plus get paid within 48 hours by PayPal! Join Branded Surveys
Toluna: Earn PayPal, Amazon & Tango e-vouchers for taking surveys (& product testing!). Join & get 500 bonus!
Swagbucks: Get paid to watch videos, shop online, take surveys and more. Join now & get $5 instantly!
What’s great about Apple Pay is that it replaces your physical cards with an easier, safer, and more secure and private payment method since you don’t have to share your credit card or debit card information with the retailer when you’re using it.
Below, I’ll cover whether or not Safeway takes Apple Pay, and how to use it in-store.
What will I learn?
Does Safeway Take Apple Pay?
Safeway takes Apple Pay in-store. So, you can use your mobile wallet to pay for your groceries at your nearest location. However, Apple Pay and other electronic wallets cannot be used online at Safeway. This means you won’t be able to use Apple Pay to pay for online Safeway orders for pickup or delivery. Also, Apple Pay is not accepted on the Safeway app for pickup and delivery orders.
Make sure you read the rest of the post to learn how to use Apple Pay at Safeway and for a list of other payment methods accepted at Safeway and a list of other grocery stores that take Apple pay.
How to set up Apple Pay
Apple Pay is really easy to set up and then you can use it to pay for the purchase of food, groceries, household goods, clothing, and much, much more.
You can use Apple Pay on multiple devices, which is useful.
Of course, you can only use Apple Pay on iOS devices such as:
- Apple Watch
In order to use Apple Pay, you will need:
- A compatible device that has the latest version of iOS, iPadOS, or watchOS.
- A supported card from a participating card issuer.
- An Apple ID signed into iCloud.
All you need to do is add your credit or debit card to the Wallet app on your iPhone. You can even get all of your card’s rewards and benefits too, so you won’t miss out on any points or miles.
So, you’ll need to add a card to Apple Pay if you want to use it to purchase items at Safeway.
Here’s how you can do this on your device.
Here’s how you can add a card for Apple Pay on your iPhone:
- Open the Wallet app.
- Tap the “Add” button.
- Tap “Debit Card” or “Credit Card.”
- Tap “Continue.” Then, you’ll need to follow the steps on the screen to add a new card. Next, if prompted, choose your bank or card issuer from the list, or find them using the search bar.
- Next, you will need to verify your information with your bank or card issuer. You might be asked by your bank or card issuer to provide additional information or to download an app before approving your card for use with Apple Pay.
- If you have a paired Apple Watch, you also get the option to add the card to your watch.
Here’s how you can add a card for Apple Pay on your Apple Watch:
- On your Apple Watch, open the Wallet app.
- Scroll down and tap “Add Card.”
- Tap “Debit Card” or “Credit Card” to add a new card.
- Tap “Continue.” Then you’ll need to follow the steps on the screen to enter your card information and add your card.
- You may have to verify your information with your bank or card issuer using the Apple Watch app on your paired iPhone. Your bank or card issuer may ask you to provide additional information or to download an app before approving your card for use with Apple Pay.
You can also add a card for Apple Pay with the Apple Watch app on your iPhone:
- Open the Apple Watch app on your paired iPhone.
- Next, tap “Wallet & Apple Pay” in the My Watch tab.
- Tap “Add Card.”
- Tap “Debit Card” or “Credit Card” to add a new card.
- Tap “Continue,” and then follow the steps on the screen to add your card.
- You may need to verify your information with the bank or card issuer. Your bank or card issuer might ask you to provide additional information or to download an app before approving your card for use with Apple Pay.
Here’s how you can add a card to your Apple Pay on your iPad:
- Open Wallet setting on your iPad. Go to Settings > Wallet & Apple Pay.
- Tap “Add Card,” and follow the steps on the screen to add a card.
- You may need to verify your information with your bank or card issuer. They might ask for more information.
After you have added your card, you can use Apple Pay to pay for your groceries at your local Safeway store.
How to Use Apple Pay at Safeway
Apple Pay, as you’ll know if you have used the mobile payment service before, is a really convenient payment option. You don’t have to worry about remembering to take your cards with you to the store or writing checks. All you need is your Apple device and you’ll be able to pay for items at Safeway quickly and easily.
Here’s how you can use Apple Pay at Safeway:
- Open the Apple Wallet app on your device.
- Next, double press the side button.
- You will then need to verify your identity using your Face ID, Touch ID, or password.
- Next, place the device on the contactless payment symbol.
- When you see the checkmark and the word “Done,” the payment is complete.
Other Payment Methods Safeway Accepts
For in-store purchases at Safeway, you can use the following payment methods:
- American Express
- SNAP EBT
- Electronic wallets, such as Apple Pay and Google Pay.
For online purchases, you can use the following payment methods:
- American Express
- SNAP EBT at select locations for online orders scheduled for pickup and delivery.
Currently, cash, gift cards, personal checks, and other charge accounts are not accepted for online orders.
What Stores Accept Apple Pay?
If you enjoy using Apple Pay, then you will want to know which stores take it as a payment method. While there are some retailers that do take Apple Pay, many don’t. For example, Dollar General, Kroger, and Walmart don’t accept Apple Pay as a payment method.
Thankfully, there are a lot of stores and restaurants that do accept Apple Pay as a payment method, including:
- Acme Markets
- Best Buy
- Dollar Tree
- Family Dollar
- Food Maxx
- Save Mart
- Shop N Save
- Trader Joe’s
- White Castle
- Whole Foods Market
You can use Apple Pay in stores that have the contactless payment symbol or the Apple Pay Symbol.
If you want to find stores near you that take Apple Pay, then you should search for “Apple Pay” in Maps. This will allow you to see stores near you that accept Apple Pay.
- Open up Maps on your iPhone.
- Next, enter the type of store you want to shop at followed by the word “nearby” in the search bar. For example, you could enter “grocery store nearby” or “supermarket nearby,” into the search bar.
- A list of stores will appear. Then, you can choose the store you want.
- Tap “Useful to Know.” This will give you details on whether that particular store takes Apple Pay.
You can use Apple Pay to pay for your purchases at Safeway, but only in-store. Unfortunately, you can’t use Apple Pay to pay for online purchases at Safeway. So, if you want to use Apple Pay at Safeway, you’ll need to head to your nearest Safeway, and shop in-store.
If you’ve ever wondered, “Does Safeway take Apple Pay?”, now you know that it does!