Online banking and mobile banking apps have become incredibly popular. One of the most well-known digital banks is Chime.
Chime is an American financial technology company launched in 2014, and headquartered in San Francisco, California. It offers fee-free mobile banking services.
Chime customers aren’t charged fees you might find at a traditional brick-and-mortar bank, such as minimum balance fees, monthly fees, and direct deposit fees.
The company has lots of great features on offer, such as mobile check deposits, access to more than 60,000 ATMs, and competitive savings APY.
It’s incredibly popular. Chime has more than 12 million customers, and 8 million of those customers use Chime as their primary bank. In 2021, Chime was valued at $25 billion.
While Chime is one of the most popular digital banks around, it’s not your only option.
KashKick: Get paid directly into your PayPal for watching videos, surfing, shopping and more. Join KashKick Now!
InboxDollars: Paid over $57 Million to members to watch videos, take surveys, shop and more. Get $5 instantly!
Branded Surveys: Get $1 instantly just for joining for free. Plus get paid within 48 hours by PayPal! Join Branded Surveys
First Opinion: Get paid up to $10 per survey and $300 per virtual focus groups! Join Now!
Swagbucks: Get paid to watch videos, shop online, take surveys and more. Join now & get $10 instantly!
What will I learn?
Are there other online banks like Chime?
Short answer: Yes. There are lots of online banks like Chime that provide great services and features, solid customer support, and low fees. This includes Ally Bank, Axos Bank, and Varo. For more banks like Chime, make sure you read the rest of the post.
Top Online Checking Accounts Like Chime
Here are some great Chime alternatives.
1. Ally Bank
Ally Bank is a digital financial services company. The bank offers checking, savings, credit cards, money market, and certificate of deposit (CD) accounts. This is in addition to mortgages, auto loans, personal loans, and investing and retirement services.
Accounts with Ally Bank come with basically no fees, making it a similar online bank to Chime.
- Offers an above average interest rate on savings accounts.
- Checking accounts earn interest too.
- No minimum balance requirement or maintenance fees.
- Access from anywhere with online and mobile banking.
- No overdraft fees.
- 24/7 customer service.
- Can’t deposit cash.
- No physical branches.
2. Axos Bank
Axos Bank is an online bank that offers a range of financial products and services. This includes checking, savings, and loans, as well as CDs.
All accounts are free to open and don’t charge you any fees, making this a good alternative to Chime.
- Competitive rates on savings accounts.
- No monthly fees on deposit accounts.
- Multiple checking account options.
- No overdraft or insufficient fund fees.
- Free unlimited domestic ATM access.
- Below average CD rates for an online bank.
- There are no physical branches.
Varo is an online bank with no hidden fees.
Varo has lots of features on offer, such as checking accounts, savings accounts, and tools to help you to build your credit. Varo is incredibly similar to Chime in terms of its offerings.
- No monthly fees.
- No minimum balance required to open an account.
- Highly rated mobile app.
- Access to more than 55,000 fee-free Allpoint ATMs in stores like Target, CVS, and Walgreens.
- Get your paycheck up to two days early.
- High-yield savings accounts available.
- Good customer service
- You have to meet requirements to be able to qualify for the highest savings rate.
- Limits and fees for cash deposits.
- Missing some banking products like CDs, unsecured credit cards, and lending.
Discover Bank is an online bank with lots to offer. It provides checking accounts, online savings accounts, money market accounts, CDs, and retirement accounts. So, it has a lot to offer when it comes to features.
- No monthly fees on any account.
- No insufficient funds or overdraft fees.
- 1% cashback on up to $3,000 in debit card purchases each month.
- Access to 60,000 fee-free ATMs in the U.S.
- Competitive APYs on savings accounts and CDs
- Doesn’t accept cash deposits.
- Only one physical branch location.
Quontic is a digital bank that gives back by using deposits to help lower-income families secure mortgage financing.
It offers checking accounts, savings accounts, CDs, and home loans. It also offers Bitcoin rewards checking.
It’s another good online bank like Chime that provides lots of benefits to customers.
- High interest rates on checking, savings, and CDs.
- Convenient online and mobile access.
- No overdraft fees.
- No incoming wire transfer fees.
- No monthly service fees.
- More than 90,000 surcharge free ATMs.
- Responsive U.S. based customer service team.
- Limited branches.
- Doesn’t offer any special CDs.
Current is a financial technology company, like Chime. It offers a range of products, and, much like Chime, it has no overdraft fees or any hidden fees. It offers an account called a Current Account, which allows you to spend and save in one place.
- Get early access to direct deposit (up to 2 days, depending on your employer or provider).
- No monthly or annual fee.
- Earn 4.00% APY on your savings (up to $6,000).
- Withdraw your money without any fees at over 40,000 in-network Allpoint ATMs in the U.S.
- Offers a cashback rewards program.
- Fees to deposit cash.
- No phone-based customer service.
One of the best online banks like Chime is definitely Capital One 360. It offers a ton of great features.
Capital One offers a number of 360 accounts including:
- 360 Checking
- 360 Performance Savings
- 360 CDs
360 Checking and 360 Performance Savings are fee-free, making them a good alternative to Chime.
- 10% APY with 360 Checking.
- 75% APY with Performance Savings.
- 70% APY with 360 CDs.
- No fees or minimums with 360 Checking or 360 Performance Savings.
- Get access to more than 70,000 fee-free ATMs nationwide.
- Earn interest on any balance with a 360 Performance Savings account.
- No minimum balance required for 360 CDs.
- It offers physical branches and cafés you can visit.
- No overdraft fees.
- 24/7 mobile banking available.
- Well-rated mobile app.
- Access your money up to 2 days sooner than payday with early paycheck.
- While you do earn interest on savings, the rates aren’t as high as some other places.
Aspiration is a financial technology company, much like Chime. It says that it is “100% committed to Clean Money,” and places a lot of emphasis on bettering the world on its website.
It’s a good alternative to Chime offering checking and savings features.
- 00 APY on savings. So, it offers competitive rates on savings.
- No fees on regular Aspiration accounts.
- Offers 3% to 5% cashback on eligible purchases.
- Unlimited fee-free withdrawals at more than 55,000 Allpoint ATMs.
- No cash deposits.
- No branches.
Bank5 Connect is an online-only bank that makes a good alternative to Chime. It offers checking accounts, savings accounts, and CDs.
- 18-month CD 3.20% APY.
- Above average interest on checking accounts.
- 100% deposit insurance.
- Must have a minimum balance of $100 to earn interest.
NBKC is an online bank and mortgage lender. It was established in 1999 as Horizon National Bank, changed its name to the National Bank of Kansas City in 2004, and rebranded as NBKC in 2015.
It’s a good online bank like Chime, with lots of features to offer, such as:
- Home Loans
- Money Market
- Credit Cards
- Get access to 37,000 fee-free MoneyPass ATMs.
- Get reimbursed up to $12 per month for out of network ATMs.
- Mobile and online banking available.
- You can get access to checking and saving in one account, with the NBKC Everything account.
- Competitive interest rates on the NBKC Everything account.
- Limited number of branches available.
11. One Finance
One Finance is another great Chime alternative. It offers a single account that works as both a checking and a savings account.
- Get early paycheck access.
- No fees and no minimums.
- Get access to 55,000 fee-free Allpoint ATMs.
- Earn 1% APY on savings.
- You can open multiple Pockets to save towards different goals.
- No cash deposits available.
- No CDs available.
- No branches.
Another good Chime alternative is Revolut. It’s a British financial technology company. It’s available in the United States and offers banking services.
- No monthly fees for the Standard account.
- Supports transfers to nearly 200 countries and territories in 31 currencies.
- Send and receive money with no hidden fees.
- No cost out-of-network ATM withdrawals up to $1,200 per month with a Standard account.
- 100% fee-free ATM withdrawals at more than 55,000 ATMs in the company’s network with a Standard account.
- Trade Crypto commission free up to $200,000 per month.
- Earn 0.05% APY (annual percentage yield) on your savings.
- 10 fee-free international transfers per month to any bank account.
- No cash deposits.
- No check deposits.
- No live customer service available by phone.
Chime Alternatives Closing Thoughts
If you are looking for online banks like Chime, try the options on our list above. The Chime alternatives on our list offer many similar features and benefits, such as no fee checking accounts and competitive savings rates.
What do you think is the best online bank like Chime? Feel free to share your opinion with us in the comments section below.