Looking to purchase a new appliance? Maybe a Dishwasher or a Washer Dryer? Or perhaps something smaller like a Mixer, Coffee Maker or Microwave?
Deciding on the best place to buy appliances can be tough though. The appliance industry is big business. The home appliance industry is a multi-billion-dollar industry with global retail sales of appliances reaching more than $420 billion in 2020! And, the appliance market is predicted to grow to more than $500 billion in value by 2023.
Since it is such a huge industry, actually deciding where to purchase a new refrigerator, washer, dryer, cooktop or whatever appliance it is that you are after can be tough.
Luckily, we’re here to help. Below, we have a list of the top 10 best places to purchase appliances. This includes places that offer low prices, a great selection of appliances, and great deals and discounts.
Oh, and if you want to make some cash from your old appliances (and why wouldn’t you, right?), then check out our list of the best places to sell used appliances for cash near you.
What will I learn?
Where to Buy Appliances for the Best Prices
Here are the best places to buy appliances…
Panel Payday: Earn up to $75 per survey. They also pay up to $50/hr for mystery shopping. Join Now!
InboxDollars: Paid over $57 Million to members to watch videos, take surveys, shop and more. Get $5 instantly!
KashKick: Get paid directly into your PayPal for watching videos, surfing, shopping and more. Join KashKick Now!
Branded Surveys: Get $1 instantly just for joining for free. Plus get paid within 48 hours by PayPal! Join Branded Surveys
First Opinion: Wanna get paid for every single survey (+ high paying online focus groups) with cash or direct deposit? This is for you! Join Now!
Swagbucks: Get paid to watch videos, shop online, take surveys and more. Join now & get $5 instantly!
Most of us have a Costco warehouse nearby making this a convenient place to shop.
Here’s why Costco is one of the best places to buy appliances:
- Up to a 4-year warranty. Major appliances come with a 2-year warranty and if you make your purchase using your Costco Anywhere Visa Card, Costco Anywhere Visa Business Card or Costco credit card reward certificate, Citi will extend your manufacturer’s warranty for an additional 2 years.
- Often provides great savings.
- Up to 4% in cashback rewards.
- Find a variety of items like dishwashers to small kitchen appliances from well-known brands like LG, KitchenAid, and Samsung.
- Installation available.
- Convenient place to shop if you’re looking to purchase appliances in-store as most of us have a Costco warehouse nearby.
By the way, if you don’t have a Costco membership, read our post on how to shop at Costco without membership.
Pretty much all of us shop on Amazon, right? It’s great for everything from books to furniture. It’s also a good place to purchase appliances.
- Great for appliances big and small like refrigerators, dishwashers, beverage centers, and laundry appliances. Particularly good for compact appliances.
- Get free shipping on orders over $25 that are shipped by Amazon.
- Free delivery on some appliances for Prime members.
- Tons of user reviews available that can help you to choose the right appliance for you.
- Lots of deals on offer from Prime Day deals to Daily Deals to awesome Black Friday sales.
3. Best Buy
Best Buy is another good place to look if you’re in the market for some new appliances.
- Lots of deals and sales on offer giving you great savings.
- Free shipping on some appliances when you spend a certain amount. There was a special offer where you could get free delivery on orders worth $399 or more.
- Delivery with installation available.
- Find a huge selection of appliances from dishwashers to washer dryers to refrigerators.
Lowe’s (learn how to save money at Lowe’s here) is another great store for purchasing appliances.
- Get free delivery on many items.
- Get free store pick up on many appliances.
- Tons of deals available that can save you money.
- It offers a wide variety of appliances like washers and dryers, cooktops, and wall ovens at lots of different price points.
5. Home Depot
Home Depot is a great place to purchase appliances of all types whether it’s a dishwasher or range hood. Overall, it’s a great place to shop.
- Free delivery on many items.
- Tons of savings.
- Great range of products big and small on offer from lots of different brands like Samsung and LG.
6. Abt: Appliances and Electronics Store
Abt offers lots of different appliances.
Here’s why you should shop there:
- Free shipping on most orders over $35.
- You can get $25 off your next order of $250 or more when you sign up for the site’s email list.
- You can find a wide variety of appliances from wall ovens to small kitchen appliances. There are products available from well-known brands like LG, Sony, and GE.
7. AJ Madison
AJ Madison is another place to check out.
Here’s why you should shop there:
- Free nationwide delivery.
- There’s a free appliance rebate center on the site that offers rebates that can save you $1,000s. You can easily view offers on there.
- You can find everything from refrigerators to air conditioners to dishwashers.
- Installation services offered on some appliances but usually for an extra cost.
8. Appliances Connection
If you’re looking for appliances, then give Appliances Connection a try.
Here’s why you should shop there:
- Free delivery on orders of $99 or more.
- Lots of deals available like closeout deals and get up to $300 off LG appliances plus an extra 10% on select kitchen and/or laundry appliances.
Okay, so the next place on our list is Menards.
Here’s why you might want to shop there:
- It offers lots of different products like refrigerators, dishwashers, ranges, microwaves, and more.
- Weekly ad section on the website where you can get lots of savings.
There are lots of deals available like up to 35% off select appliances.
Here’s why you should shop there:
- There are lots of products for $100s off. For example, you could get $200 off a GE Appliances Wall Oven.
- Free shipping on orders of $59 or more on some items. Otherwise, shipping costs $79, which is quite high. There is also free in-store pickup offered on many appliances.
- Products available from brands like LG, Kenmore, and Samsung.
When is the Best Month to Buy Appliances?
Now, you know where to buy appliances, but what is the best time to buy them?
As I explained in our posts about the best time to buy a TV, timing plays a huge role in how much you pay for products.
Well, the best time to purchase appliances is when new models are released. Around this time, retailers will reduce prices on models from previous years in order to make room for these newly released products. So you can get some great deals! Now, for washers, dryers, and dishwashers, the newer models tend to be released in September and October.
Refrigerators tend to be released in May, making spring a good time to buy them. And, ranges/ovens tend to be released in January.
Another good time to buy is during sales, of course. This could be a sale on Mother’s Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July, or Father’s Day. Or it could be during a Black Friday or Cyber Monday sale.
Tips for Purchasing Appliances
Knowing where to shop is one thing. You should also follow these tips to ensure that you have the best experience when shopping for your new appliance.
Here are some simple tips for buying appliances.
1. Measure your space
The first thing you should do before purchasing your new appliance, especially if it’s something larger like a refrigerator rather than a small kitchen appliance, is measure your space.
Since things like refrigerators and dishwashers come in many shapes and sizes, rather than one standard size, it can be tough to know which items you can actually fit in your home.
If you have a narrow kitchen or a small studio apartment, then space is key! Or, if you are looking for a washer and dryer that you can fit into a utility room and still have room to properly open the door and load your laundry, then you really do need to think about space.
Make sure that you take exact measurements of the area where you want your new appliance to go. And, don’t just consider the dimensions of the product, but also how much room it is going to take up with the doors open, or drawers open. You want to ensure that you have enough space for the doors to fully open and for the drawers to pull out. Measure the space properly, and you can avoid the hassle of bringing home an appliance that doesn’t fit!
2. Research different options
Washers, refrigerators, and other kitchen appliances all come in different types.
Doing some research beforehand can give you a better understanding of what options are on the market.
Let’s say that you are in the market for a new refrigerator. Well, it’s a good idea to do some research into different styles to see what will work best for you and your home.
Do you want a refrigerator with French doors or a top-freezer refrigerator? Is an ice machine important for you and your family? Research what options are available and then choose the best one for you.
The same goes for any appliance. If you are planning to purchase a washer, you’ll need to do some research into whether a top-loading or front-loading machine works best for you. Or perhaps you might want to consider a washer/dryer combo?
Also, consider things like different finishes such as stainless steel, white, or black, and whether you want a full-size, counter-depth, or compact appliance.
It’s just a good idea to research your options so that when you visit a site or a store, you aren’t overwhelmed by all of the choices on offer. You’ll know what it is you’re looking for!
3. Read reviews
Okay, so one of the things that you should always, always do before you buy anything is read the reviews. The product descriptions on online stores or the salesperson in-store are always going to tell you that x product is just the best thing ever. But is it though?
Sure, some products are just as awesome as their sales pitch claims that they are. In some cases though, products are awful. A while back, my parents had their kitchen remodeled. They wanted to include a built-in refrigerator – so there’s a cabinet door on it making it look like the other counters in the kitchen.
The thing is my parents just okayed the refrigerator model recommended by the company who installed the new kitchen and well, it’s terrible. It’s always filling up with water under the salad drawers, and it’s not space-efficient either. It’s just not a great model and they both hate it.
Funnily enough, my parents gave us their old refrigerator because it was still working fine but it just wouldn’t fit into their new kitchen. That one still works and is great and guess what – my parents read a TON of reviews of that model before they picked it out. So, taking the time to read reviews and get recommendations from other people online can really be the difference between a great appliance and a terrible one.
Even though it seems like a simple thing, reading reviews of an appliance is incredibly important.
4. Compare prices
Another seemingly simple and obvious one, but really just as important, is to do a price comparison. You want to make sure that you compare the price of an appliance you want at lots of different stores.
Sure, if it’s not your goal to get the best price and all you want is the convenience of just walking into a store and purchasing one or ordering one quickly online, then sure, skip this step.
But, if you’re like me and what to ensure you get a good deal, then doing a price comparison really is so important.
And with so many great websites and price comparison apps, it’s so easy to find out how has the lowest prices.
Take a quick look at the price of the appliance you want at multiple stores, and you can ensure that you get your new appliance for the best price possible.
5. Consider a retailer that offers a price match guarantee
Some retailers will actually price match either before or after you make a purchase. This means that if you find a better price elsewhere, you can enjoy those savings.
Here are some examples of retailers who price match:
- Best Buy
- Home Depot
For a bigger list, check out this list of stores with price match guarantee.
For example, if you have a Best Buy store close to where you live, then you may want to purchase your appliances there because it’s more convenient for you. But, you find a better price elsewhere. With the price match, you could still get that great price from your local Best Buy. So, do consider going with a retailer that offers a price match guarantee if you’re looking to get an awesome deal.
6. If you need installation, make sure the retailer offers it
Sometimes bringing larger appliances into your home can be difficult. This means that you may need extra help with delivery and installation. In that case, look for retailers that offer installation services along with their appliances. Some retailers offer installation services directly or through a third party.
What’s on offer will vary from place to place. In fact, some retailers provide free installation and others charge a fee. What’s provided with the service can also vary. For example, some installation services charge extra for going upstairs. Also, some may haul away your old appliance as part of the service.
It’s a good idea to ask the retailer if they offer an installation service, how much it costs, and what this service includes.
You may be able to install the item yourself, but you’ll need to consider the layout of your home, and how difficult it will be for you to maneuver the appliance around any tight corners or up flights of stairs. So, consider using an installation service.
7. Check the return policy
Okay, so another really important thing that you are going to want to consider when purchasing a new appliance is what the return policy is like. Some retailers will only give you 15 days to return an appliance whereas others will offer a much more generous 90-day return policy.
It’s a good idea to read the store’s return policy before you make a purchase.
Here are some examples:
- Best Buy: 15-day return policy.
- Costco: 90-day return policy.
- Lowe’s: 90-day return policy.
- Abt: 30-day returns policy.
- Appliances Connection: 30-day returns policy.
8. View the appliance in-person if you can
Okay, so another thing to do is to try to view the appliance in-person before you purchase it.
Now, as an example, let’s say that you have found an appliance on Appliances Connection. But, you have a Best Buy or Costco store nearby. Visit your local Best Buy or Costco, if they have the same model in the store, and view the appliance in person. You don’t have to purchase it at these stores – you can still buy from Appliances Connection of course – but it allows you to see the appliance that you plan to buy in person.
Sure, you can read product descriptions, look at photos, and get the dimensions for the product online, but it’s just not the same as viewing an appliance in person.
When you view a product in-store, you can get a better sense of its size, and just what it’s like overall. It can help you to decide whether or not the appliance is for you.
So, try to view the appliance in person if you can.
9. Know that an extended warranty isn’t always worth it
One of the things that many retailers will offer is an extended warranty – especially for larger items like refrigerators and washing machines although I have seen extended warranties offered for smaller kitchen appliances as well.
Now, it might seem like going with the extended warranty is a no brainer. You’ll be covered if that expensive item you bought breaks, right?
Well, the thing is that the extended warranty isn’t always the best thing to go with.
This is because, in many cases, it’s just not cost-effective.
Many appliances come with a manufacturer’s warranty free of charge anyway. This usually covers the appliance for anywhere from 1 to 3 years.
This means that your new appliance will be under warranty anyway and you may never actually use that extended warranty. Extended warranties may provide overlapping coverage that ends up being unnecessary.
Extended warranties don’t come cheap either with some of them adding $100s onto the cost of your purchase.
Even if an appliance does break, the cost of fixing it could be less than what you would spend on a warranty anyway.
When purchasing your new appliance, check to see how many years the manufacturer’s warranty is for and what it covers. You may find that the manufacturer’s warranty covers everything you need, and an extended warranty isn’t necessary.
So What is the Best Store to Buy Appliances?
Buying a new appliance can be a big investment especially if you are purchasing a larger item like a washer/dryer. And as mentioned in this post, getting the best deal really depends on a few factors like the kind of appliance you’re purchasing, when you want to buy and of course where you shop.
Use the many free price comparison apps and sites to see which one of these places has the best deal on what you need.
Also, consider trying your local appliance store. It’s not just these big regional chains and online retailers who have appliances at great places. It’s worth comparing prices at local appliance stores too. Although usually smaller specialized stores have higher prices on home and kitchen appliances, depending on when you shop, your local small Mom & Pop shop can be the absolute best place to buy appliances for the lowest prices.
Share your thoughts