Kids seems to outgrow their clothes as fast as you can buy ’em new ones!
Most parents have closets full of once-worn kids clothes, hoping one day they can use ’em somehow.
The good news is that you can actually sell your kids old and unused clothes for cash online and offline.
There are several ways you can get rid of your kid’s out-grown clothes:
- You can sell ’em in your local consignment shops – But they take a big chunk of the money as their commission.
- You can use eBay – But selling clothes on eBay is just not profitable anymore especially for us (people with just a few items to sell). With eBay’s ever-growing fees, it’s just not worth it to go through all that hassle and end up at best with a few bucks or barley breaking even and at worse losing money after eBay fees and printing and shipping expenses.
- You can hold an online garage sale like a local Facebook yard sale or even sell on Craigslist. Going this way eliminates having to pack and ship clothes, but it does mean that people will be coming to your house to see the clothes. And this is something that many parents are not comfortable with.
But there is a better, easier, option…
Selling kids clothes through online thrift stores that specialize in buying and selling fashion items.
Here are a few such platforms that make selling your kids old and unused clothes and shoes easy and painless:
- Official site: https://www.thredup.com/
ThredUP.com is one site that stands out from the others that are out there.
This site, ThredUP.com, is free and is easy to use and navigate. The home page shows just a sample of clothing that they offer, with some of these being NWT, meaning new with tags, at great prices.
And looking at their FAQ section, everything was laid out in easy to read language and answered everything that a person could be wondering about.
How ThredUp works
The start up process is rather simple…
1. Create an account
Visit ThredUp.com and sign up.
This is going to ensure that the items you send to the company will be credited to you.
You will have to have a PayPal account in order to receive payments for your clothing.
2. Order your bag
The site does require that you send your clothing in their bags.
They do require that you put down a deposit of $4.95 for each bag that they send you in order to cover their costs. However, once they receive the bag back, they refund this money back to you.
The bag will come to you with a pre-paid shipping label. You then fill your bag and send it back to the company via USPS or UPS.
Keep in mind that the company does not accept these items:
- Clothing that is handmade
- Clothing that has been personalized or altered for a specific child
- Sleepwear, underwear or socks
- Infant clothing
- Clothing that has rips, odors, has signs of wear, stains, or has other issues
- Junior or adult clothing
- Clothing that has labels missing
- Certain brands: Faded Glory, George, Garanimals, Athletic Works, Kid Connection, Sonoma, and Koala Kids
3. Fill it up
With any clothing that is not included on what the company will not accept, you can put into your bag.
Make sure that the clothing you place in the bag has been washed and is clean.
Keep in mind that you can earn more money for clothing that still has price tags and clothing that comes from the highly desired brands. Such as: Tea Collection, Ralph Lauren, Guess, Gymboree, Gap, Baby Lulu and Hanna Banana.
If your bag does have clothing that the company does not use or pay you for, they donate or recycle this clothing.
4. Put in your information
Before you seal the bag, be sure that you put in your information that came with the bag.
When you first receive the bag, there is an envelope with the bag that has your email address on it.
You will need to put your signature on this. If you were to lose the envelope, clearly print your name, email address and your mailing address on a piece of paper and put this into the bag.
5. Ship the bag
Simply drop this bag at your local UPS store or you post office.
Since the bag has a shipping label already attached, you do not have to pay for the shipping.
6. Get paid
Once your bag arrives at the company, they will send an email to confirm that they have received it. They then go through the bag and look at each individual piece of clothing and then credit you for the clothing that works for them.
They will deposit this money into your PayPal account, which you can cash out when ready.
- Official site: http://kidtokid.com/
There is also another option, KidtoKid.
If you live in an area where there is a Kidtokid store, you can simply take your unused baby clothing to the store. They will examine the clothes and tell you right away how much they are willing t pay for them.
You can either get cash or request store credit.
The best part about Kidtokid is that you can also sell kids toys and books along with baby clothing.
To see if they have any store near you, check out KidtoKid’s official Find a Store page.
The process is rather simple, and it is a great way to get rid of some of the better kids clothing you have lying around.
This is the type of experience that most parents have been looking for, as it does not take a lot of time or money to complete.
How do you get rid of your kids outgrown clothes?
Leave a comment below and share it with us.