“Where can I get a key made near me?”
If you ever needed a copy of a key, you probably asked yourself that.
We created a list of best places near you to get keys made.
We’ve also linked to the locator page on each company so that you can easily find the store, company or key maker machine nearest you.
InboxDollars: Paid over $57 Million to members to watch videos, take surveys, shop and more. Join InboxDollars Now and Get $5 Instantly!
Panda Research: Earn up to $50 per survey or offer completed. Join Panda Research Today!
Daily Goodie Box: Want free stuff? DGB will send you a box of free goodies (Free Shipping - No Credit Card). Get your box now!
Pinecone Research: Get paid to test new products & earn $3 per survey! Join Pinecone Research Now!
Branded Surveys: Get $1 instantly just for joining for free. Plus get paid within 48 hours! Join Branded Surveys
Swagbucks: Get paid to watch videos, shop online, take surveys and more. Join Swagbucks Now & Get a $5 Instantly!
Getting Keys Made – How it’s done and what it costs
Before we get to the list, for those of you interested, we’re going to cover getting keys made and the cost of it.
Now, with these places, sometimes the keys are cut by an employee who attends the key cutting machine.
But, for many of them, you’ll simply visit a self-service kiosk to get your key cut.
Key Making Kiosks
As I mentioned earlier, many stores have key making machines that you can use on your own to make extra keys.
Here are the most popular kiosks:
- minuteKEY kiosks: One kiosk you’ll find in many stores is minuteKEY kiosks. These kiosks allow you to copy your home, office or padlock key in a minute.
- KeyMe: Another common kiosk you’ll find in store is KeyMe kiosks. These kiosks allow you to get copies for your home, office, and vehicle. You can get padlock keys, and other specialty keys, as well as fobs and access cards – you can copy your RFID to any style. What’s handy about KeyMe kiosks is that they allow you to save a key, so that you can easily make a copy of it again in the future. You just need to use your fingerprint – this is handy if you ever get locked out!
How much does it cost to get keys made?
Well, the answer is, it depends!
How much you end up paying will depend on a variety of factors, such as where you get the key made, and the type of key that you get.
But, generally speaking, you’ll pay anywhere between $1.50 and $3.00 per key copy.
What types of keys can you copy?
This is another question that many people have when it comes to getting keys made.
Generally, you can get copies of most types of house, office, and car keys.
You’ll most commonly find house keys offered – whereas car keys are a little harder to find. And, with some, you might have to get them directly from the car dealership.
In some places, you’ll be able to find a wide variety of keys, such as custom design keys, and high performance (sometimes called “hi-performance”) keys.
High performance keys are those that are more accurate than a traditional key – plus the way they’re designed they glide easily in and out of locks.
Below, we tell you which types of keys you can get at different places.
“Do Not Duplicate” (DND) Keys
If you have a key with “Do Not Duplicate” stamped on it, then you may be wondering whether you can copy it.
Yes, you actually can although it may be a little harder than making normal keys.
Here are a few options for getting Do Not Duplicate keys made:
- Visit the original store or locksmith who made the key to get a copy. They should have a record for your original purchase.
- Tell the key cutter that you are the owner of the property, and therefore have the right to copy the key. Some stores have stricter standards for DND keys and will require proof of ownership.
- If you want to get a copy of an apartment building key, you will usually have to ask your landlord or rental office directly. This option tends to work out more cost-wise than it would if you got your key made at a store.
And, finally, a quick note…
Just because we’ve said below that Walmart, for example, cuts keys, it doesn’t mean that your local store will.
Not every one of a brand’s locations will offer the exact same services. That’s why it’s important to check with your local store to see if they offer a key cutting/copying service.
Where to Get Keys Near Me
Here are the best places where you can get keys cut near you.
Our first category is grocery stores.
You’d be surprised by how many grocery stores make keys. And, getting keys made at the grocery store is one of the more convenient options, as you’re probably already there shopping quite often.
Some of these stores have employees that will make the keys for you on the machines, whereas others only have do-it-yourself key making machines/kiosks.
Check out these retailers and get your keys made.
First up is Walmart. You can get a range of different keys made here, including standard, brass, and custom design keys. Some stores feature minuteKEY kiosks that allow you to make home, office and padlock keys. You can also shop for keys online on the Walmart website.
- Find your nearest store here: https://www.walmart.com/store/finder
2. Giant Eagle
Get brass, standard, custom design, and UltraLite keys cut at Giant Eagle. Some stores have KeyMe Kiosks where you can get car keys, as well as keys for your house, and office, as well as fobs and access cards.
- Find your nearest store here: https://www.gianteagle.com/stores/
One of the Meijer perks is that you can get your keys made while you do your grocery shopping. You can get brass, standard, custom design and UltraLite keys for your home or office made here. Many stores have minuteKEY kiosks as well.
- Find your nearest store here: http://www.meijer.com/custserv/store_locator.jsp
Safeway is another grocery store that offers key copying services. Many of its stores have KeyMe kiosks where you can get door keys, car keys, office keys, hi-performance keys and a variety of other specialty keys.
- Find your nearest store here: safeway.com/ShopStores/tools/store-locator.page
At Menards, you’ll find brass or standard keys, as well as custom design keys and UltraLite keys. Some stores have minuteKey kiosks – you’ll find house and office keys.
- Find your nearest store here: http://www.menards.com/main/storeLocator.html
Find KeyMe kiosks in many Vons stores. You can get copies for your home, car and office, as well as specialty keys.
- Find your nearest store here: vons.com/ShopStores/tools/store-locator.page
Get keys made for your car, home, or office, as well as padlock keys and other specialty keys, fobs and access cards.
- Find your nearest store here: http://locations.foodmaxx.com/
8. Save Mart
At Save Mart, you can get copies of keys for your home, car, and office, as well as padlock keys, and other specialty keys. You can also get fobs and access cards.
- Find your nearest store here: https://www.savemart.com/stores
Some Kroger stores offer key cutting services – generally, you can find brass or standard keys, as well as custom design keys. Some stores feature minuteKEY kiosks, where you can get copies of home, office, padlock and a range of other keys.
- Find your nearest store here: https://www.kroger.com/storeLocator
Get a range of keys, such as brass, standard, custom design and UltraLite keys made at H-E-B. Some stores have MinuteKey kiosks, so getting keys made is quick and easy.
- Find your nearest store here: https://www.heb.com/store-locations
11. Fred Meyer
Owned by Kroger, Fred Meyer has plenty of locations in Washington State, Oregon, Idaho and Alaska. Many stores provide standard, brass, custom design and UltraLite keys. You can get keys for your home and office.
- Find your nearest store here: https://www.fredmeyer.com/storeLocator?hash=findStoreLink
12. WinCo Foods
WinCo Foods has stores in a variety of states, like California, Nevada and Washington. It’s a great place to visit if you want keys made for your home, or office. You can get brass, standard, and custom design keys.
- Find your nearest store here: https://www.wincofoods.com/stores
13. Food 4 Less
Visit Food 4 Less, and you could get keys made for your home or office. Some stores feature minuteKEY kiosks, so you can get keys made quickly.
- Find your nearest store here: https://www.food4less.com/stores/search
14. Woodman’s Market
At Woodman’s Market, you can get padlock keys, and keys for your home or office.
- Find your nearest store here: https://www.woodmans-food.com/find-your-store
15. Marc’s Grocery
Some Marc’s Grocery stores include minuteKEY kiosks. So, you can quickly and easily get a key for your office or home, and get padlock keys too.
- Find your nearest store here: https://www.marcs.com/Store-Finder.aspx
16. Fine Fare Market
If you need a copy of your front door key to give to your new roommate, or an extra key for the padlock on the shed, then visit Fine Fare Market. You can get keys for your home quickly, as some stores feature a minuteKEY kiosk.
- Find your nearest store here: http://www.finefaresupermarkets.com/locations.aspx
If you need a new key or a copy of your car key, then a good option is to visit an automotive store. At some automotive stores, you can get a car key made or copied.
For some newer car models, you might only be able to get a copy at your dealership, so keep that in mind.
Also, if none of the places below offer key cutting services near you, then it’s always worth checking at local automotive stores or car dealerships.
17. O’Reilly Auto Parts
At some O’Reilly Auto Parts stores, you can get car keys made.
- Find your nearest store here: https://www.oreillyauto.com/locations
18. NAPA Auto Parts
NAPA Auto Parts provides a key cutting service. You can get automotive and household keys made as well.
- Find your nearest store here: https://www.napaonline.com/en/store-locator
19. Advanced Auto Parts
Advanced Auto Parts is another place that sometimes provides key cutting/copying services. You can get car keys and house keys too.
- Find your nearest store here: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web/StoreLocatorView?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&langId=-1
We covered grocery stores above, but there are also other retailers, like department store chains, and drug stores that make keys.
Kmart has plenty of locations, and many of them will make copies of keys.
You can get standard, brass, hi-performance, bottle opener and custom design keys, as well as auto keys. If you ever need a car or house key made Kmart is a good place to visit. Some stores feature KeyMe kiosks.
- Find your nearest store here: https://www.kmart.com/stores.html
21. Bed, Bath & Beyond
You might not think it, but Bed, Bath & Beyond actually provide keys. You can get house, car, mailbox and padlock keys, and other specialty keys, like hi-performance keys, at Bed, Bath & Beyond. Many stores feature KeyMe Kiosks, which are super easy to use.
- Find your nearest store here: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/selfservice/FindStore
You can purchase keys online from Sears. You can get brass and standard keys.
But The Keyless Shop, which is an automotive locksmith, is featured at some Sears’s locations.
At The Keyless Shop, you can get a huge range of auto keys, including chip keys, smart keys, transponder keys, and remote keys. The store cuts and programs these keys at its locations at Sears. So, if you’re looking for car keys in particular, then it can be worth visiting The Keyless Shop at your local Sears if they have one.
- Find your nearest store here: http://www.sears.com/stores.html
- Find nearby Sears locations featuring The Keyless Shop here: https://www.keylessshop.com/locations
23. Rite Aid
Rite Aid has thousands of locations across the country, so you’re sure to find one nearby to get keys copies made. Many Rite Aid stores feature KeyMe kiosks, which allow you to get copies of a huge range of keys.
You can get most types of door keys and other household keys, auto keys, and other keys, like custom design and hi-performance keys.
- Find your nearest store here: https://www.riteaid.com/store-locator
While there are tons of gas stations out there, 7-Eleven is only one that I know of which cuts keys.
7-Eleven is another chain that features KeyMe kiosks at some of its locations. You can easily get auto and household keys made at KeyMe kiosks, as well as keys for the office, padlock keys, hi-performance keys, and fobs and access cards too.
- Find your nearest store here: https://www.7-eleven.com/locator
25. Bartell Drugs
Bartell Drugs features minuteKEY kiosks at many of its locations. So, you can get household keys, and you can also get office keys and padlock keys too.
- Find your nearest store here: https://www.bartelldrugs.com/store-locator
Home Improvement/Hardware Stores
Many home improvement and hardware stores will cut keys for you too. Below, we’ve listed a few popular home improvement stores and hardware stores where you can get keys made.
Lowe’s is one of the best places to get keys cut since it has so many locations that offer key copying services. At Lowe’s, you can get brass, standard and custom design keys. Many stores feature minuteKEY kiosks, so you can get household keys made quickly. You can also shop for Lowe’s online.
- Find your nearest store here: http://www.lowes.com/store/
27. Orchard Supply Hardware
Some Orchard Supply Hardware stores have minuteKEY kiosks. You can get copies of most household keys at these kiosks, and office and padlock keys as well.
- Find your nearest store here: https://www.osh.com/store-finder
28. Home Depot
Home Depot offers key making services. You can shop for keys on the Home Depot website. You can get brass, standard and custom design keys. Some stores feature minuteKEY kiosks, so you can easily get household keys made.
- Find your nearest store here: http://www.homedepot.com/l/search/8433/full/
29. Ace Hardware
Many Ace Hardware locations provide key cutting services. You can get brass or standard keys, as well as custom design keys and auto keys. You can also shop for keys from the Ace Hardware website.
- Find your nearest store here: http://www.acehardware.com/category/index.jsp?categoryId=1255060
Whether it’s to give to a family member, friend, pet/baby sitter or just so you have a few copies yourself, there are many times when you’ll wonder, “are there any places where I can get keys made near me?”
You don’t have to wonder anymore. Next time you need a duplicate key, check out one of these sites and find a location where you can get keys made nearby.