Just a few years ago, if you had told somebody, “I want to get paid to charge scooters!“, they’d probably laugh at you.
But the use of e-scooters has been on the rise in recent years so much so that there is an entire industry around it.
In 2018, there were just ten million users worldwide, but by 2022, there were 77 million users.
People in cities use them as a way to get around. You can cash in on the popularity of electric scooters by charging scooters near you. You can make decent money doing this as an independent contractor.
What will I learn?
Can You Make Money Charging Scooters?
Yes, you can make money charging scooters!
KashKick: Get paid directly into your PayPal for watching videos, surfing, shopping and more. Join KashKick Now!
InboxDollars: Paid over $57 Million to members to watch videos, take surveys, shop and more. Get $5 instantly!
Earn Haus: Earn up to $25 per survey. Plus same-day payments via PayPal, Venmo & Check! Join Earn Haus!
Prime Opinion: Join Prime Opinion and earn up to $5 per survey! No minimum cash out requirement. Get $5 Bonus Now!
Swagbucks: Get paid to watch videos, shop online, take surveys and more. Join now & get $10 instantly!
Companies like Lime, Bird, and Spin pay people to collect, charge, and redistribute their electric scooters across the city.
If you’re looking for a side hustle, you may want to consider charging scooters in your city.
How Do You Make Money Charging Scooters?
How you earn money charging scooters will vary depending on the company that you work with. So, for example, Lime will have a different process for its workers than Spin will.
Typically, though, with most scooter charging jobs, this is how it will work:
- Get the app: Download the app of the scooter company that you want to work with.
- Create an account and sign up to be a charger: You’ll need to provide some personal information, such as your name, address, and payment information, such as your bank account information so that the company can pay you for your work.
- Collect scooters: Once you’ve been approved as a charger, you can then start looking for scooters to collect. In the app, you can see the locations of scooters that need to be picked up and charged.
- Charge the scooters: You’ll need to charge the scooters that you collect. Scooters come with a charger that can be plugged into a standard electrical outlet. Plug the scooter into an outlet, and then wait for it to charge completely. It usually takes a few hours for a scooter to fully charge.
- Drop the scooter off at its designated location and get paid: After you have fully charged the scooter, you will need to drop it off at a designated location. You’ll be able to view the location where you need to drop off the scooter in the app. Usually, this location will be a public space or a business that’s partnered with the scooter company. You’ll get paid once you have dropped off the scooters.
Companies that Pay You to Charge Scooters
There are quite a few companies that offer charging jobs. Here are some to consider and how to apply.
Lime offers electric scooters, electric bikes, and electric mopeds in a variety of cities.
Lime hires contract scooter chargers, called “Juicers” to collect scooters from the street and charge them every night after 9 p.m.
Where to apply
- You can apply to be a Lime Juicer here. You’ll need to download the app, and then tap Earn with Lime to get started as a Juicer.
Bird used to provide charging jobs. So, you could get paid to charge scooters. The position used to be known as a Bird Flyer. Unfortunately, this position is no longer available.
Now, you have to join the Fleet Program instead. You will need to work as a Fleet Manager. And, this involves more than just collecting and charging scooters.
As a Fleet Manager, you manage fleets of Bird e-scooters and e-bikes.
To work as a Fleet Manager with the company, you’ll need access to a warehouse because you’ll need space to store and care for your fleet. You’ll also need a large vehicle to carry Birds for deployment, relocation, and collection.
You will also need experience running a business since this isn’t a gig, and you’ll be managing your own business.
Where to apply
- You can apply to be a Bird Fleet Manager here.
Spin is a company that operates dockless electric scooters on campuses and in cities across North America and Europe.
Sometimes it offers positions for people to charge or deliver scooters.
Where to apply
- You can find work with Spin here. There aren’t always jobs available, but it’s worth having a check to see if there are any jobs available for scooter chargers or delivery people.
How Much Can You Make Charging Scooters?
How much you earn charging scooters depends on a variety of factors such as the company you work with, and the number of scooters you charge.
To give you an example, Lime Juicers report an average income of $8 per scooter.
There are also people online, on various forums, social media sites and YouTube who share how much they earn.
There is a guy on YouTube claiming he makes $300-$400 a night charging scooters for Bird and Lime.
Then there is this 2 years old thread on Reddit where OP claims he makes $400 a day.
Obviously there is no way to verify these claims, so I’d take them with a grain of salt (as you should with any claim you see online and especially on social media sites.). But they give you an idea of what the potential earning could be.
That said, from what I see online, it seems like most people are making a little extra cash. It probably won’t become your main source of income, but it offers an easy and fun way to make some extra cash here and there. And we all could use “some extra cash!”
Cruise into Extra Cash!
You can get paid to charge scooters by working with companies like Lime, Bird, and Spin. This can be a good way to pick up a little extra money.
So if you’re looking for easy new side hustles, getting paid to charge scooters might just be what you’re looking for!