There’s always one well-meaning friend or relative that gives you a gift card that you just don’t end up using. Thankfully, there are lots of ways to sell gift cards for PayPal cash instantly!
This means that you can offload that gift card, whether it’s an Amazon gift card, Target, Walmart gift card or a generic prepaid Visa gift card, you’d otherwise just leave in a drawer, for real cash that you can spend anywhere.
PayPal cash is way more convenient than a gift card. You can transfer your PayPal balance to your bank account, use your balance to make payments or use your PayPal balance to shop at any online store that accepts PayPal.
PayPal just gives you way more flexibility when it comes to spending.
How to Turn Gift Cards to PayPal Cash
Here’s how you can sell your gift cards for PayPal money.
PayPal actually has a guide all on how to exchange a gift card for PayPal cash through CardCash.
InboxDollars: Paid over $57 Million to members to watch videos, take surveys, shop and more. Get $5 Instantly!
Branded Surveys: Get $1 instantly just for joining for free. Plus get paid within 48 hours by PayPal! Join Branded Surveys
Daily Goodie Box: Want free stuff? DGB will send you a box of free goodies (Free Shipping - No Credit Card). Get your box now!
RewardFish: Earn FREE gift cards for things you already do, shop, quizzes, surveys, etc. Join RewardFish
First Opinion: Wanna get paid for every single survey with cash or direct deposit? This is for you! Learn More!
Swagbucks: Get paid to watch videos, shop online, take surveys and more. Join Swagbucks Now & Get a $5 Instantly!
So, this is definitely a good option to consider.
Basically, you can exchange a gift card for cash in your PayPal balance through CardCash, and then you can use the balance to make payments, transfer the money to your bank, or use it to shop online.
Here’s how it works:
- Go to CardCash.
- Enter the merchant’s name and the balance on your gift card. Then click “Get Offer.” If there’s an offer available, you’ll be able to see the amount of PayPal balance you can exchange with this gift card.
- To add another gift card, simply enter the information below and click “ADD CARD”.
- If you agree to the exchange offer, click “Continue.”
- Enter your gift card number and PIN, and click “Connect with PayPal.”
- Log in to your PayPal account
- Fill in the required fields and then click on “Get my PayPal balance.”
You can exchange as many gift cards as you want in one go. Rates for gift card exchange value can differ from company to company, depending on the demand for that gift card.
Usually, it takes one business day for your funds to deposit into your PayPal account.
Next on the list we have Raise. This is a gift card resale platform where people can sell and buy gift cards.
You can sell a gift card there and get paid right to your PayPal account.
Here’s how it works:
- On the Raise website, find your gift card: You can search for your gift card. You can sell gift cards that are new or partially used.
- List your gift card for sale. It’s free to list cards for 1,000s of brands, and you get to set the selling price.
- Once your gift card sells, you get paid via PayPal or direct deposit.
Another way to trade your gift cards for cash is on eBay. A lot of websites, like OfferUp and Facebook Marketplace for example, prohibit the sale of gift cards in order to protect buyers.
eBay does actually allow you to sell some types of gift cards.
Sellers can list the following types of gift cards:
- eBay gift cards that are sold by authorized sellers
- Collectible gift cards with no redemption value, as long as the listing specifies that there’s no monetary amount on the card.
- Gift cards for stores or companies going through bankruptcy, or going out of business, if the cards are still accepted as a form of payment. If there’s an expiration date, it must be specified in the listing
Sellers will need to meet these requirements when listing eligible gift cards:
- The total face value of your gift card listings, at any given time, needs to be $500 or less.
- Your gift card must be in hand at the time of listing, and it must ship within 5 days of the date the card is sold.
You cannot sell the following types of gift cards on eBay:
- Electronically delivered gift cards (from non-approved third-party retailers).
- Prepaid credit cards (or money cards) from American Express, Discover, Mastercard, or Visa.
- Store or merchandise credit in the form of a receipt.
It’s free to list items for sale on eBay, but the site does charge you a final value fee, which is 12.9% for most categories, plus $0.30 per order.
Cash4GiftCardsAmerica is a website that allows you to sell your gift cards to get cash right to your PayPal account.
You can have the money in your account in less than an hour.
You will need to submit your ID in order to sell your gift cards on the site. This ID can be a driver’s license or any valid state-issued ID.
According to the website, the reason for you having to submit your ID is to keep the company’s transaction process secure and efficient. You can get cash fast on the site.
Cash4GiftCardsAmerica accepts gift cards from more than 650 popular stores. It only accepts gift cards that have a minimum balance of $25.
Simply enter the balance on your card, and you will get an offer. If you accept the offer, you can get paid by PayPal. It has other payment methods available, such as Zelle and Cash App.
The website says it has a track record of paying out money in less than an hour, but, depending on your selected payment gateway, there could be temporary delays in the transfer of money. Still though, the site offers a good way to sell gift cards for PayPal money instantly.
BuyBackWorld is one of the best places to sell your gift cards for PayPal cash. It’s accredited by the Better Business Bureau where it has an A rating. And, on Trustpilot, BuyBackWorld has 4.2 stars on Trustpilot, which is a “Great” rating.
So, BuyBackWorld is a legit place to sell gift cards for PayPal cash.
Here’s how it works:
- Visit the BuyBackWorld website.
- Then, select the gift card you want to sell from the list of dropdown options.
- Enter the value of your gift card.
- Select the number of gift cards that you want to sell.
- Then, the website will give you a quote.
- If you accept the quote, you need to mail your gift cards to the company. Don’t worry, this is free to do. BuyBackWorld gives you a prepaid shipping label. So, it doesn’t cost you anything.
- Once BuyBackWorld receives your gift cards and verifies the amounts, it will issue your payment through the payment method you prefer. PayPal is a payment option, and other options include check, direct deposit, prepaid debit card, or a BuyBackWorld.com gift card. Your payment is issued within 2 business days of verification.
6. Yard sale
Another option you could try is having a yard sale. You can sell your gift card and request PayPal as the payment method. Because you’re not selling through a website or company, you don’t have to worry about listing fees or commission fees. Instead, you get to keep 100% of the profits.
The downside with yard sales though is that people mostly go to yard sales to find bargains, so you might not always get great value for your gift cards.
ClipKard is another website where you can sell your unwanted gift cards for PayPal cash.
Here’s how it works:
- On the ClipKard website, select the brand of your gift card from the dropdown menu. Then, enter the balance on the gift card, and select the gift card quantity you want to sell.
- The website will then give you a quote for your gift cards.
- If you accept the quote, you will need to ship your card or cards to ClipKard. It provides two different shipping options, which are USPS First Class Mail and USPS Priority Mail. If you choose USPS First Class mail, ClipKard will pay for the cost of shipping your cards. If you choose USPS Priority Mail, ClipKard will deduct the calculated shipping cost from the final payment total. You can review the calculated cost of Priority shipping in the Payment Summary box.
- Once the company receives and verifies your gift cards, you get paid. You can opt to get paid by PayPal or check. PayPal deposits are typically available within 1 business day after the company verifies receipt of your gift cards.
8. Use your prepaid gift cards wherever PayPal is accepted
If you have a prepaid gift card, like a prepaid MasterCard or Visa gift card, then there’s a really simple way to use it.
Simply add the cards to your PayPal account.
You can actually add Visa, American Express, MasterCard or Discover gift cards to your PayPal account, and then use these general-purpose gift cards during checkout, as you would with any other debit or credit card that you have on your PayPal account.
This means that anywhere you can use PayPal to pay, you can use your gift card!
PayPal is now widely accepted as a payment method, so it can make spending the balance on a Visa, MasterCard or other prepaid gift cards much easier.
You’ll just need to make sure that the prepaid card has enough balance to cover the total amount to pay.
Another place to consider is Craigslist. You can sell the gift card and request payment via PayPal. What’s good about Craigslist is that it’s free to list items for sale there, and it doesn’t charge you any commission either.
So, you can keep 100% of your profits!
A couple of honorable mentions
I’ve still included them here as sort of honorable mentions because they both do allow you to trade your gift cards for cash, just not to PayPal. So, if you don’t mind getting cash for your gift cards via other means such as bank transfer, check, or Payoneer, then they may be worth a try.
There are quite a few options for selling gift cards for PayPal cash. Some of the best places to sell gift cards are on gift card resale websites like CardCash and Raise. BuyBackWorld is also great. You are, however, dependent on the quoted price given by these companies.
That’s why more general marketplaces, where you can list gift cards for sale yourself, and, thus, set your own prices are such good options.
You get more control over how much money you earn.
The downside is that many of these more general online marketplaces, such as OfferUp and Facebook Marketplace often prohibit the sale of gift cards to help protect consumers against fraud and scams.
There are a couple of options though. You can sell gift cards on Craigslist and some types of gift cards on eBay. So, those are great choices too.
If you want to sell gift cards for PayPal cash instantly, then Cash4GiftCardsAmerica is a great choice as it claims to provide payments within an hour, which is awesome, right?
Overall, you have quite a few options to try if you’re looking to sell gift cards for PayPal cash.