We spend almost half of our lives on a mattress which is why we tend to consider a lot of things when buying a mattress including, size, comfort and of course price.
And you should; You want a quality mattress that helps you get a good night sleep. According to a study by the US National Library of Medicine and National Institutes of Health, an adapted mattress can even affect musculoskeletal pain and sleep quality.
Of course, a quality mattress is expensive.
And while there are ways to get a free mattress, but they don’t work for everyone.
Now, when it comes to price, knowing when to go mattress shopping can save you a lot of money.
InboxDollars: Paid over $57 Million to members to watch videos, take surveys, shop and more. Join InboxDollars Now and Get$5 Instantly!
Swagbucks: Get paid to watch videos, shop online, take surveys and more. Join Swagbucks Now & Get a $5 Instantly!
Opinion OutPost: On of the oldest survey sites with tons of fun & high paying surveys. A must join for earning extra cash.Join Opinion Outpost
Pinecone Research: Get paid to test & review emerging concepts for products and services (high paying surveys)Join Pinecone Research Now!
Lifepoints: Former MySurvey has paid its members over $20 Million in the last year alone! Join LifePoints Now!
Panda Research: Earn up to $50 per survey or offer completed. Join Panda Research Today!
What’s the Best Time to Buy a Mattress
Here are the best times of the year to buy a mattress.
- Late Winter/Early Spring
- Holiday weekends
- All year (Online)
Late Winter and Early Spring
As with any products, new models are usually introduced annually. When it comes to mattresses, new models tend to arrive during late winter early spring.
What month should I buy a mattress?
The absolute best month is May!
Visiting your local mattress shop in May means you can save a lot of money by going for an older model that stores need to get rid of in order to make room for newer models.
Also, if you don’t mind it, buying the actual floor sample can usually save you way more. So be sure to ask the mattress salesman if they do sell their showroom samples.
How much can you save?
You can save anywhere from 10% to 15% on older models. But the real savings is with the floor samples where you can save as much as 50% or more.
Holiday weekends, including Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Presidents Day, Labor Day and Black Friday, are the best time to buy mattress and furniture. You’ve probably noticed more furniture ads on your local TV stations during holiday weekends about how you can save money on furniture and mattress. BLOW OUT SALE!
What makes holiday weekend prime time for mattress shopping is the number of products that go on sale. Stores usually mark down a big portion of their inventory.
During these promotional periods, some stores offer additional deals like free foam pillows and box spring as well as free shipping.
How much can you save?
It depends on the holiday.
Here’s what you can expect to save:
- 4th of July: Save up to 40% on name brand mattresses. Don’t forget to check your local department stores as some offer savings of up to 60%.
- Labor Day: Save up to 60%.
- Thanksgiving/Black Friday: Deals vary but you can save anywhere from 30% to 60% off suggested retail price.
- Presidents Day: This is the best time to buy older models as stores have to move inventory in order to make room for newer models. You can save 50% and even up to 60%.
- Memorial Day: You can find really good deals on Memorial Day including savings of up to 40%.
Obviously, depending on the store and where you live, prices and discounts can vary greatly. The numbers above are just a rough estimate based on the average percentage of discounts major mattress sellers throughout the country offer during those holidays.
Online/ All Year
It’s no secret that you can usually find better prices online. However, when it comes to buying a mattress, the downside is that you don’t get to test it in person. But that’s easily solved as almost all online mattress stores offer 30 to 100 day free trials during which you can test drive your new mattress.
Online retailers such as Mattress Firm, Purple and Lull offer deals year-round.
The best part is that they ship the mattress to your home (in many cases for free) in a compact box that’s easy to handle.
Mattress Shopping FAQ
Since buying a mattress is an importunate decision and very individualized based on your needs, you may have some questions about it.
Here are answers to some of the most commonly asked question that will help you research, find and buy the best mattress for your bed at the lowest price possible.
How do I pick the best mattress?
Just like many other big purchases, there are a lot of things to be considered when mattress shopping.
The biggest one being the type of mattress.
Here are your options:
- Memory Foam or Gel: They mold to your body thus giving you more support through the night.
- Innerspring: This is what at one point most people used to have in their bedrooms. They use steel coils with various padding.
- Hybrid: This type of mattress combines foam and spring system giving you the best of both types.
- Pillow Top: Pillow Top mattresses basically have a top layer sewn on them.
- Adjustable Air: If you’re looking for a cheap mattress for your weekend guest or friends of your teenagers, this is an option.
- Water Bed: If for some reason you’re still interested in this one, some stores still sell them.
Each one of these has its own benefits. Find out what you need and want, then read up on these models to find out which is the best one for you.
What’s a good price for a mattress?
As with anything else, a “good price” is relative and depends on your needs. But to give you an idea, you wanna set a budget of between $500 to $3000.
Average consumers spend around $1000 on a quality mattress that comes with a good warranty.
Is Black Friday a good time to buy a mattress?
When it comes to Black Friday deals and discounts, the sleep industry is usually overlooked. Most people think exclusively about purchasing electronics with huge discounts since all major retailers offer huge discounts on all kinds of electronics.
But mattress retailers also offer great deals on Black Friday.
Now, you may not get the best and lowest prices of the year, but depending on what brand and where you buy, you could save a lot of money.
So you should definitely check out your local store as well as online mattress websites on Black Friday and during Thanksgiving season in general.
The Best Store to Buy a Mattress Cheap
It really depends on your needs and location. That said, while there are tons of mattress retailers all over the places, there are some that stand out because of the quality, price, guarantee and customer service they offer.
I would check with these places first.
- Lots of positive reviews.
- Online quiz to help you find the best style.
- Free shipping.
- Donates to charities and nonprofits.
- 2 Free pillows with select mattresses.
- Free shipping and returns.
- 100-Night risk-free trial.
- 10-Year limited warranty.
- You can find products from many different brands.
- Prices are sometimes lower.
- Free shipping if you have Prime.
- A lot of customer reviews to help you decide.
- You can find any size mattress from Twin and Full to Queen, King and California King Mattresses.
- Free one-day delivery on some purchases.
- Tons of options.
Bed, Bath & Beyond
- There’s probably a store near you so you can test it out in person.
- Cheap mattresses for those on a budget (as low as $50).
- Carries a lot of premium brands including Beautyrest, Sealy, Serta, Stearns And Foster, Tempur-Pedic and Purple.
- Frequent sales.
- Competitor Price Match.
- Stores in most major cities Stores in most major cities.
- Price Match guarantee.
- Free 120-night sleep trial.
- Huge selection of products.
- Low prices.
- Mattress and bed combo deals.
- Offers great discounts throughout the year.
- You can adjust your side of the bed independently of your partner’s side.
- 25-Year limited warranty!
Costco, Sam’s Club, BJ’s
- Not always, but when they do have in stock, they offer crazy deals on mattress and bedding in general.
- If not in stock in your local store, they’ll deliver to your house or local store from another branch
Obviously, there are a lot of other stores and websites as well. But based on my research and reviews, these places seem to have the best deals and promotional offers for mattresses.
That said, always compare prices. Take some time to research and read reviews. And save even more by using coupons.
Use these price comparison apps to compare mattress prices from different stores and websites.
And don’t forget to use these sites to find coupons that work.
Buying a mattress is an important purchase. Experts suggest you toss out the old one and buy a new one every 7 to 10 years. So make sure to do your research and set a firm budget so you can get one that you can enjoy sleeping on every night without having to deal with back pain!
Hopefully, armed with this information, you now know what the best time is to buy your next mattress!ime