The subject of today’s review is Secondspin, a platform where you can sell your used DVDs, CDs, Games and other media.
Whether it’s an old boxset of Friends or a CD you don’t listen to anymore, we all have DVDs and CDs cluttering up our homes.
And, we can stream and store music digitally with platforms like iTunes and Spotify.
As a result, CDs and DVDs are gradually being phased out.
Join InboxDollars for free. InboxDollars pays you to watch videos, search, shop, take surveys, and more. They have paid out $57 Million so far!
So, it’s likely that you have a fair few of them taking up space in your home.
Wouldn’t it be great if instead of taking up valuable space, your DVDs and CDs could actually earn you money?
Well, with a platform called SecondSpin, they can.
What is SecondSpin?
It’s a website that you can buy used CDs, DVDs, Blu-ray, games and vinyl from. But, you can also sell on there as well.
So, if you’ve got a few old games that you don’t play on anymore, CDs you don’t really listen to or a few DVDs that you don’t watch anymore, then the website might buy them from you.
It also has two stores, including one in Costa Mesa and one in Denver.
Plus, it also has a number of affiliate stores. You can view the store’s locations across the country on this page.
So, if you’re wondering “are there any Used DVD stores near me?”, then you might want to check that out.
SecondSpin Review: Selling on the platform
It is a pretty easy to use platform.
So, if you want to sell used DVDs, CDs, games or vinyl, it’s certainly one to consider.
How it Works
When you visit the homepage, you’ll see a selection of DVDs, CDs and other discs to buy.
If you want to sell your stuff to the platform, then you’ll need to do the following:
1. Find your Title
Click on the “selling” tab.
This is a pretty big tab that isn’t easy to miss. It’s on the right side of the homepage.
Once you’ve done that, enter the title of the item that you want to sell and hit search.
For example, if you have Anchorman 2 on DVD, then you’d want to type in “Anchorman 2 DVD” into this search box.
Join Smart Panel and share your experince on how you use the internet. They pay you $5 for installing their free app & $5 a month just for keeping it, plus loyalty bonus every three months! .
This brings up a list of results.
Next to each title, it should state how much you’ll get for selling it, and say “sell to us”.
Click on this and it will be added to your cart.
2. Continue Selling
After you’ve added an item to it, it’s important to visit your cart quickly.
This is because if your cart remains inactive for more than 90 minutes, the items in it are removed and you have to start again.
So, go to your cart to review the title you added and the price you’ll get for it. If the price is satisfactory, then click on “proceed to checkout”.
Then, you are taken to a form where you need to enter your shipping address.
3. Ship your Title
After you’ve done that, you see a page where you can place your order.
You have to pay for shipping – according to the site, standard shipping rates apply.
You can view the shipping rates here to get an idea of how much sending your titles will cost you.
Here are a few things to keep in mind when shipping your items:
- You can ship your discs to the site using whatever delivery service you want. But, it does recommend that you use USPS Media mail, as it will reimburse you for the delivery.
- Keep in mind that you need to make sure that the website receives your package within 30 days of the date you placed the order online. The site cancels it otherwise.
- Make sure that you protect your disc too. This prevents damage during in transit. the website states that it has the right to refuse packages that are damaged during transit.
- You can ship multiple orders within one box. But, you’ll need to include packing slips for each one.
4. Wait for it to Review your Title
When it gets your discs, it takes around 3 business days for the order to be processed.
If it doesn’t accept one of your items, then you get an email to let you know. You can then decide whether you want to have your discs shipped back to you or allow SecondSpin to dispose of it for you.
If it does accept your discs, then you get paid.
5. Get Paid
If it accepts a disc, then it will pay you through the payment method that you specified during the checkout process.
There are a few different payment methods you can choose from:
- Online credit: This is store credit that the site issues to the account you have with the site. You receive this within 3 business days after your order has been processed. And, you can then use this credit to buy stuff from the website.
- Check: You can choose to be paid cash via check. It will be issued with 3 business days after your package has been processed. You’ll get your check in the mail, usually within one to three weeks. But, occasionally, it takes up to a month to get it. This is definitely the slowest method of payment.
- PayPal: You can also choose to receive cash via PayPal. If you choose this payment option, then you get a deposit to your PayPal account. This occurs within 3 business days after your package has been processed. You need to make sure the email address on your SecondSpin account, matches the address on your PayPal account.
6. Receive Shipping Credit
Paying for shipping is a bit of a hassle. But, when it receives and accepts your package, it will reimburse you for the cost of shipping.
You can get shipping credit for up to 25 items.
But, each transaction must meet both of the following criteria:
- Trade in 5 or more items that are priced $0.25 or more.
- Trade in $10 or more.
The amount of credit you get is based on how many items you sell and the product total for one transaction.
Shipping reimbursement is only provided for items that the website accepts.
So, if you send multiple items in the same box, then those orders are combined.
You only get one shipping credit based on the number of units that are accepted from this combined order.
You can learn more about shipping reimbursement here.
How to get your items accepted
It’s important to only send items that have a high chance of being accepted.
Otherwise, you have to pay to ship them and get nothing back in return. You don’t want to spend $5 on shipping, only to realize that the website won’t accept your stuff.
The platform is pretty clear about what it accepts.
Here’s what you need to do to make sure your title isn’t rejected:
- There’s a limit in place of two copies per title per customer.
- Your disc can’t be in poor condition. The site does state that it accepts discs that have a couple of light scratches. But, if there are any more than that or there are deep scratches, the site will charge you a $0.35 fee to refurbish the disc.
- If a disc can’t be refurbished, the site will reject it.
- You can’t send items that don’t include all liner notes or those that have any missing original artwork or inserts.
- Items that have anything written on the artwork also aren’t accepted. But, initials written on the disc itself are ok, provided that the writing is small.
There are a few more rules in place, so we highly recommend that you check out this page.
It goes into more detail about item acceptance.
Taking the time to review the platform’s requirements is really important. Doing so increases the likelihood that the website accepts your items.
How much money can you make?
Overall, SecondSpin is a platform you should definitely consider.
In posts and forums online, the SecondSpin selling reviews are definitely mixed. But, this shouldn’t necessarily put you off of using the platform, and we’ll explain why below.
Some people report that selling their discs to the platform is hassle-free and gets them money for the CDs, DVDs, and other titles they don’t want.
But, others report the opposite
Some people state that they have paid shipping fees to send their discs to he platform and then they were rejected, and their shipping fee wasn’t reimbursed.
To be fair, it does state on its website that it will only reimburse you the cost of shipping for titles that it accepts.
So, if you send out 5 DVDs and the platform accepts 3 of them, then you are only reimbursed for the cost of shipping for those 3.
And, it also clearly states the criteria for receiving shipping credit too.
Other people complain that it isn’t always clear on the reasons why it rejects certain items.
As we mentioned above though, you can easily ensure that the website accepts your item if you follow its criteria.
So, if it does accept your stuff, can you make money with it?
Make money selling your used DVDs, CDs and more
The website offers pretty good prices for DVDs, CDs, games, Blu-ray and vinyl.
How much you earn will vary depending on the type of item you have.
You’re going to make more money if you have a lot of items to sell.
Obviously, more items equals more cash. But, combining multiple items into one package is also more cost-effective for shipping.
Here are a few examples for how much you can earn from titles, at the time of writing of course:
- Anchorman 2 Blu-ray/DVD: $0.20
- Nirvana Bleach CD: $3.00
- Seinfeld Seasons 1, 2 & 3: $1.25
- American Horror Story Freakshow: $1.50
- Deadpool Blu-ray/DVD: $1.25
These prices will change. So, just take these as examples to give you an idea of how much you could potentially earn.
As you can see, the prices offered vary from item to item. While you won’t get rich using SecondSpin, it is a good place to earn some money that you could put into your savings or use to buy something else.
If you have multiple items you want to get rid of, then you could make yourself a good profit. Even if you only have ten movies to sell, and you get about $1.25 per unit, then you’d still make $12.50 that you didn’t have before!
If you’re looking to sell used CDs, or any other discs, like DVDs, and games, as well as vinyl, it’s definitely a platform to check out.
Decluttr vs Second Spin: How does SecondSpin compare to other similar platforms?
It holds up well compared to other platforms, like Decluttr. Its prices are generally competitive.
For example, at the time of writing, you could get $3.75 for the Nirvana Bleach album (the deluxe edition). But, the same CD would only get you $0.21 on Declutrr. This is quite the difference.
However, it doesn’t always offer the best price. For example, at the time of writing, SecondSpin paid just $0.15 for a Zoolander DVD, whereas you could get $0.90 for it at Decluttr.
And, it’s a similar story for Batman Begins. On Decluttr, you can sell the Batman Begins 2 Disc Special Edition for $0.21, whereas you only get $0.15 for it at SecondSpin.
So, we definitely recommend shopping around a bit if you really want to make sure that you get the best price for your stuff.
Another benefit of the website is that it if it rejects an item, it actually sends it back to you. This isn’t the case with Decluttr. If Decluttr rejects one of your items, then it will recycle it, unless it’s a tech item.
The one thing that sets SecondSpin back a little is the fact that it does charge you for shipping. While it does reimburse you, there are a lot of rules and limitations in place for shipping credit. For example, you have to send a certain number of items to qualify.
Overall SecondSpin Review
Overall, it is a good platform for anyone looking to thin out their DVD or CD collection.
The prices it offers are reasonable, and if you have a lot to sell or more valuable items to sell then you could make a nice profit. The only thing that lets it down is the fact that you have to pay for shipping.
But, other than that, it’s definitely a good option if you want to get rid of your old stuff and make some cash in the process.