It has 44 million active users each month, and it’s likely to increase in years to come.
However, you might have a certain reason to want to close your Cash App account:
- You like Cash App, but you found a similar app you like better.
- The app takes up space on your phone, plus you haven’t used it very much anyway.
- You had a bad experience with Cash App, so you’re eager to close your account to wash your hands of said experience.
This begs the question of how to delete your Cash App account.
Read on for step-by-step instructions to close your account for good.
What will I learn?
How to Delete Cash App Account in Three Steps
Take these steps to close your Cash App account permanently.
KashKick: Get paid directly into your PayPal for watching videos, surfing, shopping and more. Join KashKick Now!
InboxDollars: Paid over $57 Million to members to watch videos, take surveys, shop and more. Get $5 instantly!
Branded Surveys: Get $1 instantly just for joining for free. Plus get paid within 48 hours by PayPal! Join Branded Surveys
First Opinion: Get paid up to $10 per survey and $300 per virtual focus groups! Join Now!
Swagbucks: Get paid to watch videos, shop online, take surveys and more. Join now & get $10 instantly!
1. Move any leftover funds to your bank account
Before closing your Cash App account, the first thing to do is transfer any money you have in your balance to your bank account, even if it’s only a few cents.
Here’s how to do it:
- Open Cash App.
- Touch the bank icon on the bottom left-hand corner.
- Tap “Cash Out.”
- Enter the amount you want to withdraw, then select “Standard” or “Instant.” (The Instant option includes a fee, which varies.)
Got Bitcoin or stock?
If so, sell those first before transferring funds to your bank account.
Bitcoin selling instructions:
- Go to Cash App and touch the Bitcoin tab.
- Next, tap “Sell.”
- Then, input your Touch ID or PIN to confirm the sale.
Stock selling instructions:
- Touch the “Investing” tab.
- Go to “My Portfolio,” and press “Sell.”
- Enter your Touch ID or PIN to confirm, then follow the cashout instructions above.
Check that, too!
Savings transfer instructions:
- Touch Cash App, then tap the Bank icon.
- Press “Savings.”
- Tap “Transfer Out.” (The money goes to the Cash App balance for you to transfer to your bank account.)
2. Retrieve your personal information (optional step)
If you want, you can download your personal information before deleting your Cash App account.
Saving your personal info can come in handy if you need to use it further down the road.
Personal info download instructions:
- Log into your Cash App account from your desktop or laptop. (Cash.app/account)
- Press “Settings.”
- Go to “Your Info,” and click “Download Your Info.”
- Then, go to “Activity,” and click “Statements.” (You should receive two spreadsheet reports: one labeled Cash App Report, the other labeled Cash Personal Data Report.)
Save the two reports via:
- Emailing them to yourself
- Flash drive
- Sending them to Google Drive
3. Close your Cash App account
Ah, the final step.
To get rid of your account for good:
- Tap your Profile in the upper-right-hand corner.
- Scroll down to “Support.” (Tap it.)
- Touch “Something Else.”
- Go to “Account Settings.”
- Press “Close Your Cash App Account.”
- Touch “Confirm.”
Other Important Info Regarding Deleting Your Cash App Account
Here are a few important pieces of information that can come in handy when deleting your account and profile on Cash App platform.
If you’re unable to delete your account
A common problem Cash App users have is deleting their accounts.
If you struggle with closing your account, one reason could be that you still have funds in your balance.
That’s why you should move money to your bank account before proceeding.
Make sure to cancel any active subscriptions
Subscription linked to your Cash App account?
Cancel it so you’re not wasting money on a product or service you don’t want to pay for anymore.
Creating a new account
Though this post’s main focus is deleting your account, you might change your mind in the future.
Should you create a new account one day, you’ll need to add a phone number and email address different from the info you used for your previous account.
Deleting Cash App FAQ
Here are a few common questions you may have about deleting your Cash App account and answers to them.
Uh oh! I didn’t mean to delete my Cash App account! Can I recover it?
Unfortunately, you won’t be able to recover old data if you delete your account by mistake.
You’ll have to start from scratch to continue using Cash App.
I have a negative balance that I can’t pay off right now. Perhaps I can bypass it by deleting my account?
(Sigh.) If it were only that simple.
After all, who likes debt?
Regrettably, Cash App won’t let you delete accounts with negative balances.
But, I have a few suggestions to aid you in tackling your balance.
Friends or family in your contacts?
Ask them to send money to assist you in paying off your debt.
If they can’t, try arranging a payment plan with Cash App.
I’m not sure if Cash App offers payment plans for negative balances, but you never know unless you inquire about it.
Contact customer service through its chat feature or by dialing 800-969-1940.
Is there a way I can delete my account via web browser alone?
According to some blogs I visited, it used to be possible to close your Cash App through your laptop or desktop if you can’t use your phone for any reason. (They were slightly older blogs from 2022, by the way.)
However, it doesn’t look like you can do it anymore.
I tested it by logging onto Cash App’s website via my laptop and going through the steps outlined in No. 3 in the deletion instructions until I stopped at “Close Your Cash App Account.”
When I clicked on it, a pop-up appeared and said I should use my phone to snap the QR code. (I didn’t go further than that for fear I might delete my account for real!)
I’m not sure why Cash App no longer offers the web browser-only deletion option, but if you don’t mind doing it the long way, go right ahead.
I like Cash App, and personally, I don’t see a reason to close my account.
That said, I understand not everyone wants to keep their accounts, and I respect their right to do away with them if they want.
Knowing how to delete a Cash App account — and any payment transfer account — is essential for closure or a fresh financial start.