Doing typing work from home is a great way to earn money without having to invest any money.
All you need is your computer, time, and the willingness to work from home.
If you can type reasonably well, then there are some great opportunities online to earn extra income.
Some jobs require you to type at a certain speed, while others let beginners apply.
Whichever you are, they all look for accuracy in the end result, as that’s what matters.
Join InboxDollars for free. InboxDollars pays you to watch videos, search, shop, take surveys, and more. They have paid out $57 Million so far!
Most of the jobs can be done at any time of the day or night, and the way they pay varies – usually by the number of words, the number of keystrokes or transcription may pay by the audio minute transcribed.
The following 25 legitimate companies hire workers to do typing jobs from home.
Tigerfish has been in the business nearly 30 years.
It takes applications from US citizens or residents.
The job is transcribing audio, and though it costs nothing to apply, you have to use a specific type of software for the job. But for an evaluation test you can download free software to see if you qualify.
2. The Smart Crowd (Former VirtualBee)
- Official site: https://thesmartcrowd.lionbridge.com/Home/NewSignup
- Where to apply: https://thesmartcrowd.lionbridge.com/Home/NewSignup
Great name – wouldn’t you like to say you work for the Smart Crowd?
To get on board, you have to take an assessment test. If you do well enough, they will send you work when it is available.
They pay between $.40 and $.55 per 1000 keystrokes, and you have to earn a minimum of $50 before they pay out.
3. Dion Data Solutions
- Official site: http://www.diondatasolutions.net/
- Where to apply: http://www.diondatasolutions.net/opportunities.htm
For this part-time job, you enter data for Dion Data.
They want you to be good enough to type at 60 words per minute, have a Windows computer and a good Internet connection.
You will be trained in the tasks they require.
SigTrack offers seasonal work to US residents, processing voters’ petitions.
You get paid weekly via PayPal at a rate of around 3.7 cents per piece entered.
- Official site: http://typists.quicktate.com/transcribers/signup
- Where to apply: http://typists.quicktate.com/transcribers/signup
There’s a great variety of work available with Quicktate. It’s mainly transcription work, typing up recordings of conference calls and other phone calls, voicemail messages, and other audio recordings.
You can also summarize recordings, and do typing work in the legal and medical fields.
6. AccuTran Global
- Official site: http://accutranglobal.com/
- Where to apply: http://accutranglobal.com/ (Under “Work with Us”)
AccuTran is based in Canada and offers jobs at home for residents of Canada, the US, and the UK.
The jobs vary in the amount of skill needed, and include basic transcription as well as reviewing transcriptions, editing, and other writing.
- Official site: https://scribie.com/
- Where to apply: https://scribie.com/freelance-transcription#intro
If the flexibility of the job is what appeals to you, then you should try working for Scribie.
They accept all speeds of work as long as it is accurate.
They pay about $10 for each hour of audio you transcribe.
Best of all, they pay via PayPal with no minimum amount required before you can ask for the money.
Speechpad welcomes beginners who can work at their own pace.
The work involves transcribing short snippets from audio tracks and videos.
It pays from $.40-$.50 for each audio minute completed.
You get paid every two weeks through PayPal.
9. Get Transcribed
- Official site: https://www.facebook.com/gettranscribed
- Where to apply: https://www.facebook.com/gettranscribed
Another company that accepts beginners, Get Transcribed wants transcribers and reviewers.
The pay is slightly lower, at $.23 per audio minute for transcriptions, with reviewers getting $.12 per audio minute.
You have to accumulate a minimum of $100 before they will pay you, and you get your money through PayPal.
- Official site: https://www.clickworker.com/
- Where to apply: https://www.clickworker.com/clickworker/?customer=false
Clickworker has a special way of giving you work. It’s a crowdsourcing company, and the work comes out in very short tasks, a few lines at a time. As well as transcribing, they do translations, research, and general writing.
You have to register and have an assessment test before you can start taking on the “micro-tasks”.
SpeakWrite is a major company that hires transcriptionists for online work.
You need to have a typing speed of 65 words per minute and be based in the US or Canada.
The company has over 65,000 clients in government, law enforcement, legal, and other fields.
12. Cyber Dictate
- Official site: http://www.cyberdictate.com/
- Where to apply: http://www.cyberdictate.com/about-us/employment/
For more experienced workers, Cyber Dictate will take you on as an independent contractor.
You need to have the right gear, which Cyber Dictate defines as a headset, and transcription software with a foot pedal, and to have three years relevant experience.
13. Transcribe Me
- Official site: https://transcribeme.com/
- Where to apply: https://workhub.transcribeme.com/Account/Register
In contrast, Transcribe Me will take on absolute beginners without experience in transcription. As long as you have excellent English, it doesn’t matter where you live.
You can expect to be paid around $20 per audio hour transcribed, and you get the money through PayPal.
14. Transcribe Team
- Official site: https://www.transcribeteam.com/
- Where to apply: https://www.transcribeteam.com/workers/
As an alternative, you could work for the Transcribe Team, who again don’t mind taking on beginners.
The pay is slightly higher, at $.45 per audio minute, again using PayPal.
In a variation from straight transcription, rev.com offer video captioning jobs (for movies, TV shows, and other videos.)
You don’t need any specialized equipment, and can live anywhere in the world.
Rates vary, but most workers average around $200 per month.
16. Casting Words
- Official site: https://workers.castingwords.com/
- Where to apply: https://workers.castingwords.com/turkers/index
Another company for beginners, Casting Words offers straight transcription tasks but with varying qualities of audio.
If you work successfully on poor audio, you’ll be paid around $1.20 per audio minute; if you have a good recording, expect about $.60 per audio minute.
17. Nuance Transcription Services
Nuance, a company based in Burlington, Massachusetts, provides specialized transcription services.
It deals in medical transcriptions, so some experience in the field would be needed to be familiar with the terms used.
- Official site: http://www.gorgewarehouse.com/
- Where to apply: http://www.gorgewarehouse.com/jobs.htm
This is an online data entry job, and as such is paid by the hour. You need to have good Internet access, as the data has to be entered on the website and internal database.
If you can type at 30 words per minute, you can earn $10.50 per hour.
19. Aberdeen Captioning
Looking for experienced transcriptionists, translators, and captioners, Aberdeen employs many people in its California offices. However, they also use experienced personnel working from home.
- Official site: http://typists.quicktate.com/
- Where to apply: http://typists.quicktate.com/transcribers/signup
Quicktate provides general transcription work, mainly voice messages, and other audio files.
They require you to satisfactorily answer a quiz, and also complete a background check. You don’t need other qualifications.
Have you ever considered working for Mechanical Turk?
It provides all sorts of small jobs on a broad range of topics, including many typing tasks. Each task doesn’t pay much, but may only take seconds or minutes to complete.
- Official site: http://www.accentusinc.com/
- Where to apply: http://www.accentusinc.com/careers/us.php
To work with Accentus you will need experience in medical transcription, as well as certification. It hires US and Canada residents for work at home tasks in different shifts.
23. Birch Creek Communications
- Official site: http://birchcreekcommunications.com/3801.html
- Where to apply: http://birchcreekcommunications.com/3894/index.html
This company used to be known as Clark Fork, and will take on experienced transcriptionists, particularly in the legal field, to work from home.
Work is provided during normal working hours, Monday to Friday, with occasional evenings available.
- Official site: http://www.e-typist.com/
- Where to apply: http://www.e-typist.com/Employment_work_at_home-dictation-service.htm
e-Typist has work in the insurance and legal fields, and uses work at home transcriptionists.
To be accepted, you need to have a typing speed of 60 words per minute, and should have some knowledge of legal terms.
You apply by submitting your resume, and the company will contact you when they have openings.
25. DataPlus +
DataPlus is headquartered in Georgia, and uses independent home-based contractors for online data entry.
All you need is a decent computer and Internet connection for this freelance work.
As you can see, there is tremendous variety of opportunities to work from home, typing or entering data. Some require specific experience or typing speed, and others accept beginners. Study each carefully, to determine which ones suit your requirements.
Also, I’d love to hear about your experience. Have you ever worked fro home doing data entry or typing jobs?