If you love photography, are competent at editing of photos and aware of commercial aspect of photography like what are the latest trends, you may like working for Shutterstock.
And no, you are not required to make any phone calls, though you’ll be working from home.
What Exactly is Shutterstock?
Shutterstock is a stock photography site that works as a bank of royalty-free videos, photos, and illustrations for businesses, individual, bloggers, and basically whoever needs royalty free images for their projects.
Artists, photographers and illustrators from all over the world make their own contributions to this bank.
Some of you may remember that a while ago I talked about making extra money taking photos and submitting them to stock photography sites. Well, this is the other side of that coin.
You see, when you and thousands of other people submit their images to sites such as Shutterstock, they can’t instantly be available for others to purchase. They have to be rated to make sure they are quality and appropriate images.
InboxDollars: Paid over $57 Million to members to watch videos, take surveys, shop and more. Join InboxDollars Now and Get $5 Instantly!
Opinion OutPost: Join & get your share of over $400,000.00 a month they pay to their survey takers. Join Opinion Outpost
KashKick: Get paid directly to your PayPal! KashKick pays you doing fun things online! Join KashKick Now!
Panda Research: Earn up to $50 per survey or offer completed. Join Panda Research Today!
QuickRewards: Get Paid instantly. No minimum pay out! Play games, shop, take surveys.... Join QuickRewards
Daily Goodie Box: Want free stuff? DGB will send you a box of free goodies (Free Shipping - No Credit Card). Get your box now!
RewardFish: Earn FREE gift cards for things you alreayd do, shop, quizzes, surveys, etc. Join RewardFish
Swagbucks: Get paid to watch videos, shop online, take surveys and more. Join Swagbucks Now & Get a $5 Instantly!
That’s where a picture reviewer comes in.
What’s the Job of an Image Reviewer?
The task of an image reviewer is to evaluate the photos on the basis of the following criteria:
- Overall quality
- Commercial aptness
- Technical implementation
- Conformity to acceptable standards of the company
As an image rater, your responsibilities include:
- Approving image conforming to the acceptable levels
- Evaluating images for marketable image catalogs
- Ensuring that photos do not violate any trademarks or copyrights
- Ability to apply metadata principles and do editing
- Knack of working swiftly and handling high volumes of work with a detailed-oriented mind
- Offering reliable, efficient, objective, short and snappy and truthful feedback to contributors
- Choosing keywords that help drive search engine traffic
What Kind of Skills Do I Need?
Here are the prerequisite for this job:
- Should possess domain proficiency
- Have at least two years experience as a professional photographer
- Should be able to devote at least 25-30 hours/week
- Be willing to spend 5-8 hours on weekends
- Excellent command over English language
- Possess skills for photo editing
- Be aware of on going and emerging commercial trends and styles
- Be organized with an analytical mind and an eye for detail
- Making comprehensive judgments over and over again
You’ll need to have the following:
- Personal computer, laptop or Mac
- High speed Internet connection
- Adobe Photoshop
- MS Office Suite
- Goggle Docs
Also keep in mind that when you offer to work as an image reviewer with Shutterstock, they will check the speed at which your computer can download. It should have a minimum downloading speed of 25 mbps.
What Are the Hours?
Though you can choose your hours of working, be prepared to work for 25-30 hour per week and that include 5-8 hours of work on weekends too.
How Much Can I Realistically Make?
It doesn’t say anywhere on the site the exact amount, but I looked at a forum posting on Shutterstock forums that was dated back to 2011, stating that they pay 5 cents for every image you review.
Even though the post hasn’t been updated in years, I wouldn’t think the pay is much more than that.
How Do I apply?
Wanna give it a go?
Simply visit Shutterstock’s job listing page and apply.
Keep in mind that in addition to your application, you will have to take a test as well. This test basically gauges your speed and efficiency.
Although the pay isn’t much, I think this is a decent opportunity for anyone looking for a part-time work from home job.
And to be honest, depending on your speed, you may even be able to make a full-time income out of it, although it’d be very hard to get to that point when you consider they pay 5 cents for each image. But hey, it is a simple and somewhat fun way to make a few bucks.
Are you going to apply and become an image reviewer?