It’s probably not the first time that you’ve heard about MyPoints.
Chances are, you’ve read about it from other make money online websites or maybe from a friend raving about it on Facebook. But like many others, you probably don’t know the exact details of how to use it and why it’s such a fantastic program.
Well, look no further. Below is a quick review of MyPoints and the things that you need to know about using it to earn free gift cards.
What the Heck is MyPoints Anyway?
It’s an online rewards program, much like Memolink, or the most famous one, Swagbucks.com.
InboxDollars: Paid over $57 Million to members to watch videos, take surveys, shop and more. Join InboxDollars Now and Get $5 Instantly!
Panda Research: Earn up to $50 per survey or offer completed. Join Panda Research Today!
Daily Goodie Box: Want free stuff? DGB will send you a box of free goodies (Free Shipping - No Credit Card). Get your box now!
Branded Surveys: Get $1 instantly just for joining for free. Plus get paid within 48 hours! Join Branded Surveys
KashKick: Get paid directly to your PayPal! KashKick pays you doing fun things online! Join KashKick Now!
Swagbucks: Get paid to watch videos, shop online, take surveys and more. Join Swagbucks Now & Get a $5 Instantly!
In a nutshell, MyPoints is a website that rewards people for doing certain things. For example, you can be paid for playing video games, finding things through their search engine, completing surveys, and taking advantage of grocery coupons found on the website.
The number of points that you earn is based on the particular activity you choose on the site. Plus, there are a host of other activities and offers.
After you’ve earned enough points, you can exchange them for a gift card to the store of your choice.
I usually choose the Amazon Gift card since I do a lot of my shopping there. The good news is there is a wide variety of options with over 75 partner stores.
Signing up is easy-peasy. To join, simply visit MyPoints.com and get yourself a free account.
You’ll find that the total time to complete the sign-up process is a little under 2 minutes. Even better, you can begin earning points immediately.
While there are many things that you can do to earn points, the first thing that you should do is to complete your profile, which will garner you an easy 60 points.
When you’re done with this, you can explore the rest of the website for other activities and opportunities.
Remember you are not obliged to work on everything you see. Just choose the ones that you find interesting, and watch the points accumulate over time.
How to Redeem Your Points?
What I like about this site is the huge number of choices you have when it comes to cashing out your points.
I should also mention that although they offer gift cards from a variety of stores, you also have the option to cash out via PayPal, or you can even get a Visa gift card.
If you’re curious about the possible gift cards you can claim, simply look for the Rewards tab and click. Doing this will list the various cards that you can claim from the website, which can range from $5, $10, $25, and all the way to $100 denominations.
From here, you can decide whether you want to save up your points for a larger purchase or something smaller. At the end of the day, it’s pretty much your call.
When you’ve decided on your reward, all you have to do is click, key in your shipping address, and the gift card will be sent via mail.
Take note that it takes a while to get to you, so if you need it to buy something, allot enough time. Personally, I’ve received my gift cards anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks.
7 Ways to Earn More Points
Although there are a lot of ways to earn points, there are a few methods that make it very easy and quick to rack up those points.
Here are some of those options:
1. Install the MyPoints search bar: Every time you do a search, whether it’s for your son’s homework or a recipe for your weekend bash, you earn points.
2. Whenever shopping online, go through MyPoints: The site also acts as a one of those cash back shopping sites where you get a percentage of your total back in form of a cash back. Check if the store that you typically buy stuff from is a MP partner. Buying through them will get you points, and you’ll be rolling in $100 gift cards before you know it.
3. Play the Instant Win game: Every now and then, MyPoints runs instant win games, double points days, and other contests that increase your points faster, so pay close attention.
4. Refer friends: Not only will you be rewarded with a 25-point joining bonus for every friend, but you’ll also earn a 10% bonus on all the points that they earn. That might just be the incentive you need to encourage them how to use it every single day.
5. Subscribe to their newsletter: These are email promotions from their partner advertisers, and for every click, you’ll get 5 points. And if you actually take the advertisers up on their promotional offer, you’ll get much more.
6. Look for coupons on the site: Who knows, you might just find coupons for something that you use on a regular basis. Every time you redeem a coupon from Coupons.com, you’ll get a 25-point bonus. You also get an additional 25-point bonus on top of everything if you use 10 or more coupons within a single month.
7. Take advantage of surveys in the email: If you qualify for the survey, then you get 50 points. If you don’t, you’ll only get 10 points. But think of it this way, that’s 10 points for just letting them brands know what you think.
Get the Biggest Bang for Your Buck
Before you redeem a gift card, make sure that you really evaluate your options.
For instance, while $10 gift cards from some online stores go for 1,600 points, other stores will require 2,000 points. Unless you specifically want a gift card from that particular store, get a gift card that gives you the most bang for your points.
You may also want to pay attention to the number of points required per card dollar amount. The rule of thumb is the higher the card dollar amount, the less points that you need. For example, a $50 card from the same merchant requires less points than the $10 card.
While it’s a nifty program, MyPoints also has its share of disadvantages.
For example, you run the risk of receiving a ton of junk mail (which is why I always recommend you make a separate email address just for survey and rewards sites). This is why if you’ve subscribed to BonusMail emails, it pays to always check the bottom of the email to see you can unsubscribe to the option of receiving direct emails from third-party advertisers. After all, you won’t be earning points from those.
You may also want to complete surveys that you receive through email only. Based on personal experience, the surveys on the website are designed to push you to buy items or get a service. Worse, they’re a headache to complete.
Using Your Earning for Evey day Stuff
If you ask me, I’m already pretty happy with getting free gift cards, but did you know that your earnings can be used for other things?
For starters, you can give your gift cards as a gift to your friends. That takes care of Christmas presents right there. You can also receive restaurant, hotel, and gas cards for your next holiday.
How about using it to cover fuel and grocery expenses? You can save a pretty penny simply clicking on links, filling out surveys, and playing games.
I’ve been a MP user for a long time now, and I’ve used it for Amazon, The Home Depot, Kohl’s, Staples, CVS, Target, Walgreens, Barnes & Noble, Walmart, FTD, Kmart, and more.
I thoroughly recommend MyPoints. Not only is it user-friendly, but I’ve always been able to redeem my gift cards without any hassle. And that’s a big plus, considering all the scam sites that promise free gift cards and money, but they never actually pay.
And while gathering all those points do not always go as fast as I would want it, I have certainly been able to save and earn some money using this site.