Wouldn’t it be great if you could make money back each time you go shopping?
Yes, basically getting paid to shop!
Well, an app called Receipt Hog, which we’re going to review today, is making this a possibility.
With this app, you can earn cash from your receipts – really!
So, instead of throwing out your receipt once you’ve bought your groceries, keep it and get yourself a bit of extra spending money.
InboxDollars: Paid over $57 Million to members to watch videos, take surveys, shop and more. Join InboxDollars Now and Get $5 Instantly!
Panda Research: Earn up to $50 per survey or offer completed. Join Panda Research Today!
Swagbucks: Get paid to watch videos, shop online, take surveys and more. Join Swagbucks Now & Get a $5 Instantly!
Smart App: Earn $15 a month just for installing their free app, plus loyalty bonus every three months! Join Smart App Now
Daily Goodie Box: Want free stuff? DGB will send you a box of free goodies (Free Shipping - No Credit Card). Get your box now!
National Consumer Panel: Use the app or free handheld scanner they mail you to scan barcodes during shopping to earn cash & gift cards. Get Access to NCP
Check out our Receipt Hog review and see if you’d like to start using this app on future shopping trips.
What is Receipt Hog?
RH is an easy to use app that allows you to scan your receipts, and earn coins, which you can redeem for cash.
It’s an incredibly popular app and it’s one of the oldest receipt apps out there.
Here’s what else you need to know about this popular app.
How it works
This app/service has a really simple concept – here’s a quick breakdown of how it works:
- Download the free app for iOS or Android
- When you go shopping or dine at a café or restaurant, snap a photo of your receipt using your phone.
- Upload the receipt, and you’ll earn coins that you can redeem for credit via PayPal or Amazon or you can even earn a magazine subscription.
The app is really simply to use.
You can also participate in surveys and sweepstakes to earn more cash and prizes.
More about the “Receipts to Cash” app
Now that you have a basic idea of how the app works, here’s what else you need to know about using this awesome app.
Let’s start with uploading your receipts…
How to upload a receipt on Receipt Hog
One of the best aspects of RH is how easy it makes uploading receipts.
It takes just a few simple steps:
- Put your receipt on a flat surface.
- Then, open up the app, and on the homepage, click on the Camera icon.
- Take a photo of your receipt – make sure it isn’t blurry.
- Click Submit and your receipt will be uploaded.
Receipt Hog tricks & rules
There are a few so called “cheats” and “hacks“that you can use that’ll help you get the most out of the app and spend less time uploading your receipts.
Here are a few of those handy tricks and rules you might want to keep in mind when snapping photos of your receipts:
- Make sure that your receipt is lying completely flat, on a surface with a neutral background.
- It should have as few wrinkles as possible on it – crumpled up receipts won’t read clearly.
- Choose an area of your home that is well lit, as again the photo needs to be clear for RH to accept it.
- Ensure that you line up the edges of the receipt with the lines shown on the app.
- Make sure you allow your camera to focus before you snap the image – no blurry images allowed, remember.
- The store name, list of purchased items and their prices, the transaction total and the date of transaction must be clear on your photo.
- Receipts that are older than 14 days, cut off or too faded won’t be accepted.
It’s important to keep those tips and tricks in mind when you’re uploading your receipt – because the upload won’t be eligible for rewards otherwise.
And, if you have a double-sided or super long receipt, don’t worry.
The app allows you to take up to 9 photos of a single receipt, meaning you can simply take multiple images of your receipt to capture all the information you need.
The app will then put the images together to get a clear picture of your receipt.
Receipts you upload go into different categories; depending on the type of retailer they’re from.
There are three receipt categories:
- Spin-Receipts: In this category you earn spin rewards. For each receipt, you earn one Hog Slot spin. Playing this game gives you the opportunity to win coins that you redeem for cash or gift cards. Spin receipts also earn you an entry into the app’s monthly sweepstakes. You can win up to 5,000 coins. Receipts from retailers that sell non-consumable goods, like apparel and office supplies, usually fall into this category.
- Sweeps-Receipts: These receipts earn you an entry into the app’s monthly sweepstakes – where you get the chance to win up to 5,000 coins. Technically every qualifying receipt you upload to Receipt Hogs, including coin-receipts and spin-receipts, will earn you a chance to enter the sweepstakes, but receipts that exclusively earn entries are those from bars, gas stations, restaurants, bakeries and cafés.
- Coin-Receipts: With coin-receipts, you earn coins for your receipts, which you can redeem for cash. These types of receipts are the best, as if eligible, you’ll definitely earn coins, whereas with the spin-receipts and the sweeps-receipts you only have chance to win coins. We’ll go into more detail about coin-receipts later in the post.
You can determine which receipts count towards earning coins by viewing the information button, which appears at the top of your receipt list.
What does RH do with your Receipts?
As the app is free to use, you might be wondering what does the company behind the apps get from your receipts.
Well, it’s simple really. RH is a market research company that partners with brands.
It uses your receipts to provide valuable information to companies about consumer purchases, like “Families in the Chicago area are 10% more likely than consumers in the rest of the United States to purchase laundry detergent in a traditional grocery store, rather than at a supercenter”.
Essentially, it takes your receipts and optional survey answers, and summarizes them into market research reports that companies then purchase.
All of your data is a completely anonymous.
Payments on Receipt Hog: How much can you really save?
As you can see, RH is a really easy to use app, with a simple receipt upload process.
Once, you’ve uploaded your receipts, the app rewards you with coins that you can redeem for cash.
Here’s what coins are worth on Receipt Hog:
- 1000 coins = $5
- 2900 coins = $15
- 4300 coins = $25
- 6500 coins = $40
In the UK, here’s what points are worth:
- 1500 coins = £5
- 2850 coins = £10
- 5300 coins = £20
- 12000 coins = £50
The best way to earn coins
On Receipt Hog coins are cash – so you want to ensure that you earn them.
While, as mentioned above, you can win coins if you enter the monthly sweepstakes or if you spin on the Hog Slot game, uploading receipts that fall into the coin category is the best way to earn cash, as they definitely result in coins.
While you might be lucky and win coins on the Hog Slot game or on the sweepstakes, it’s not guaranteed, but when you upload an eligible coin-receipt, you definitely earn coins.
So, if you want to get the most out of RH it is coin-receipts that you’re going to want to focus on.
The amount you earn for coin-receipts is based on the total amount you spend when you go shopping.
The more you spend, the more points you get.
Here’s what you’ll need to spend to earn coins:
- <$10 = 5 coins
- $10-$50 = 10 coins
- $50-$100 = 15 coins
- $100+ = 20 coins.
And here are the numbers for UK users
- <£10 = 5 coins
- £10-£50 = 10 coins
- £50-£100 = 15 coins
- £100+ = 20 coins.
As you can see, coin-receipts are a great way to earn cash, but you’re probably wondering what receipts qualify for this category.
Well, generally speaking it is receipts from stores that primarily sell consumable goods that fall into the coin-receipt category, like:
- Grocery stores
- Health stores (chemists)
- Club stores
- Closeout and discount stores
- Drug stores and pharmacies
- Bargain stores, like dollar stores and pound shops
- Liquor stores or off-licenses
- Convenience and corner stores
- Beauty supply stores
- Toy stores
- Pet supply stores
- Mom-and-Pops and Bodegas
Don’t think that there’s a receipt hog hack or any receipt hog cheats out there that you magically earn you more coins.
The company is diligent with what it accepts and how its members use the platform.
So, you simply have to shop as normal and wait for your coins to add up.
How to redeem your coins
Once you earn coins, you can redeem them for one of the following:
- A deposit to your PayPal account.
- An Amazon e-gift card code sent to the email on your account.
- A magazine subscription – please note this is only available to US users and requires 800 coins.
After you make a redemption request, it will be reviewed and approved, within seven days.
You’ll get email updates about your pay-out, so make sure you check your emails frequently.
How does it compare to other apps like Receipt Hog?
As you can see from this review, the app gives you an easy way to make money from something that you’d normally throw away – your receipts.
And, it’s certainly one of the best apps of its kind out there.
In some ways, it does have more to offer than other receipt scanning apps, like Receipt Pal.
Here are a few aspects of the app that put it a head of others and what sets it back:
It’s easy to use
Compared to other receipt scanning apps, RH is really easy to use, simple to navigate and it’s really quick to upload a receipt.
You don’t have to go through many screens.
Uploading is as simple as snapping a photo and hitting upload – all of which can be done from within the app.
There are multiple ways to earn
On Receipt Hog, there are multiple ways to earn points, outside of scanning receipts.
You can enter surveys or play on the Hog Slot Game for coins too.
Payouts are quick and easy
It’s easy to redeem your coins. Plus, you get to choose from cash or gift cards, which is great.
What’s also beneficial is how quick payments are.
You can get your money in less than a week.
Low Payment Threshold
You only have to earn $5 to cash out, which compared to many other similar apps is a pretty low payment threshold.
Not all receipts earn you cash
One of the aspects of Receipt Pal that sets it back a little is the fact that not all receipts are eligible for coins.
For many receipts, you only get entered into a sweepstakes or you get a spin on the Hog Slot machine – as neither of those things guarantees you coins, but depends on you just being lucky, this isn’t ideal.
There’s a wait list
Unfortunately, Receipt Hog has a wait list!
Not all members can get started earning right away. You might have to wait.
When you download the app, you put yourself on the wait list and the company will contact you if a spot becomes available.
You can find out more about the wait list in the FAQ section.
Overall, Receipt Hog is a good app that gets you some extra cash from your receipts.
It doesn’t net you money quickly – coupons are a much quicker way to do this – but it does give you a little back on each shopping trip, which over time adds up.