The Internet offers a wealth of online teaching jobs.
So, whether it’s math or English, you can find a ton of teaching opportunities on the Internet, if you just know where to look.
While online teaching jobs are out there, finding them is the tough part.
That’s why we’ve put together an extensive list of places that offer online teaching and tutoring positions.
If you like getting paid for surveys, and are going to join only one site, I would recommend you choose Ipsos-iSay. Ipsos is the most fun and well-paying panel. Give it a try to see how you like it. It is free anyway!
Whether you plan on teaching college students or elementary students, you’re sure to find a great teaching opportunity in our list.
So, browse through and see which one fits your needs and skillset.
A) Tutoring Companies
Aim-for-A Tutoring is a website that provides online tutoring services to students all over the world.
And, you could be one of the site’s tutors.
As a tutor on the site, you teach students one-on-one. Tutoring is done via Skype.
The site requires tutors that teach in a wide range of subjects, like math, science and English. Tutors that can assist with homework and test preparations for GED, SAT, PSATs and more are also needed.
The students you tutor through the site are English-speaking, and range in age from elementary school to college.
The website accepts applicants from all over the world. There are a few requirements needed to become a tutor for the site:
- You must have at least a bachelor degree in the subject you plan on teaching
- Your English skills, both written and verbal must be excellent
- You need to have some teaching experience
- You must have the ability to work hours to accommodate students in Europe, North America and Australia.
How to Apply
Applying to become a tutor at Aim-for-A Tutoring is a fairly simple process.
All you need to do is send an email – which should include your resume and the following details to [email protected]:
Try Swagbucks, the famous rewards program that pays you for watching videos, taking surveys, shopping and more.
- Your Skype username
- How much you expect to earn
- Your available hours in USA EST
- One paragraph that describes why you would like to do online tutoring.
Sylvan Learning Centers is a tutoring company that offers online tutoring programs, STEM education, and college prep. Many of the company’s tutoring happens on site, But, it does also offer online tutoring jobs.
With most of these jobs, you have to live in the area where the learning center is located. And, you might have to do some work on-site occasionally.
As a Sylvan instructor, you can teach the following subjects:
- Study skills
You also provide test preparation for college admission, like SATs and ACTs, as well as state exams.
To be a tutor at a Sylvan Learning center, you must have at least a bachelor’s degree.
Eduwizards is an online tutoring website. The site tutors students who are a K-12 and College level.
The company hires tutors on a freelance basis, but also offers full-time salaried positions.
As a freelance tutor at Eduwizards, you can set your own rates and your own hours for online tutoring.
Through the site, you can teach pretty much any college-level subject, ESL, and study skills. You can also aid students with test preparation.
Requirements and Qualifications
In order to be a tutor at Eduwizards, you must:
- Have a bachelor’s degree or higher.
- Have a reliable broadband connection
- Have access to a headset that has a microphone.
- Have a thorough knowledge of the subject you plan to teach.
How to Apply
Simply submit your educational documents to the site, and complete and submit your profile for approval.
If you’re interested in providing homework tutoring to high school and college students, then check out Homework Tutoring.
Through the site you can teach students in a wide variety of subjects.
To be eligible as a tutor on the site, you need your own equipment and tools, like a web cam, and a chat program like Skype.
If you would like to be a tutor at Homework Tutoring, then email your resume to [email protected].
Chegg Tutors is a company that connects students with tutors.
Students can visit the site and hire a tutor that suits their needs.
As one of the site’s tutors, you help students with their homework, set up lessons, or help students to understand key concepts of the subject they’re studying.
Tutoring sessions with students are done using the site’s video audio or text chat tools.
To become a tutor at Chegg Tutors, all you need to do is complete the site’s application process.
TutaPoint.com is a website that offers online tutoring services. So, it’s a great place to find online teaching opportunities.
This site caters to high-school level students, and teaches a variety of subjects, including:
As one of the site’s tutors, you teach students, one-on-one, in high-school-level concepts.
You will be responsible for:
- Aiding students with their homework
- Helping students to understand key concepts and ides of the subject they’re studying.
Your tutoring sessions will be carried out in the site’s online classroom, and include video, audio, whiteboard and file sharing.
Qualifications and Requirements
In order to be a tutor on the site, you must:
- Have a minimum of two years previous tutoring experience.
- Have a degree from or be enrolled in a U.S. college
- Have access to a computer with a webcam.
- Have a high-speed internet connection
- Have a headset.
How to Apply
To apply, you need to complete the site’s application process.
This will take you around twenty minutes to complete, and you’ll need to have the following information and details to complete it:
- Personal details, like your address and birthdate.
- Three references, which include a name and email address
- Details about your educational background, like schools and majors.
- A professional looking profile photo
You will also need to make a short video introduction of yourself in order to tutor on the site.
Tutor.com is an online tutoring company. Tutors teach students in grades K through 12 to college and adult learners in an online classroom.
The company offers both on-demand and scheduled tutoring sessions.
So, tutor.com is another great place to work if you’re looking for an online teaching job.
You are responsible for tutoring students in your particular subject area. You can create your own schedule that fits your needs, as the site offers its services 24 hours per day, seven days per week.
And, you can create a new schedule on a week-to-week basis depending on your needs.
There are a few ways you can set up tutoring sessions:
- You can create a new schedule on a week by week basis.
- Log on and just check to see whether there are any on-demand sessions to pick up.
- Set your availability for scheduled appointments, so students can request sessions from you at the appropriate times.
Qualifications and Requirements
In order to be a tutor at Tutor.com, you must:
- Currently live in the United States or Canada
- Have a valid Social Security Number or Social Insurance Number
- Be eligible to work in the United States or Canada
- Be able to tutor at least five hours per week
- Have strong oral and written communication skills.
- Have a degree from an accredited U.S. or Canadian University or be a college sophomore or higher.
- Have a laptop or a computer with a minimum screen resolution of 1024 x 768.
- Have a working headset and/or microphone for communicating with students
- Own Microsoft Word software, which must be the 2007 version or newer.
How to Apply
To become a tutor at Tutor.com, you need to complete the site’s application process. This process includes four steps:
- Fill out an application form.
- Complete the site’s subject exam in the subject or subjects you plan to teach.
- Complete a mock tutoring session.
- Undergo a background check.
If your application is successful, then you can start tutoring.
The site states that it gives preference to candidates that pass subject exams in more than one subject.
If your application is accepted, but Tutor.com currently doesn’t have any openings for tutors in your approved subject(s), then you’ll be placed on the site’s waiting list.
And, when an opening in your subject area does become available, then the site will get in touch and continue the rest of the screening process.
Tutorvista.com is a website that offers K-12 to college-level tutoring. And, you can become one of the site’s tutors and work from home.
TutorVista offers both part-time and full-time positions. And you have the choice of working for 4 to 9 hours per day.
Unlike other tutor sites at TutorVista, your working hours are pre-scheduled and committed.
So, you cannot complete work on a freelance or ad hoc basis. You can change your hours to suit your availability, but you must give prior notice.
Each tutoring session is usually 45 minutes long. And, as for each subject, the student gets the same tutor it gives you both more continuity between sessions and makes teaching a little easier.
As a tutor at Tutor Vista, it’s your responsibility to provide tutoring services to students in an online classroom, using the site’s tools, as well as your own skills and knowledge. Other duties include:
- Preparing a personalized learning program for students
- Understanding your students’ needs and objectives
- Participating in the Tutor Vista training and development sessions.
- Reading and responding to all communication from TutorVista
- Keeping up to date with TutorVista policies and the code of conduct
Qualifications and Requirements
If you want to be a tutor at TutorVista, then you need to make sure that you possess the qualifications below and meet the following requirements:
- Have a post graduate degree in the subject you plan to teach
- Be able to teach for a minimum of four hours per day
- Have a computer and a broadband connection.
- Be available at the times you agreed for sessions, and provide notice in the case of any change in availability.
- Have good English communication skills
- Be able to teach sessions primarily during evening/night time hours – US and UK time zones.
How to Apply
If you want to work with TutorVista.com, then you need to fill out an application form. You will need to attach your CV to the job application.
Smarthinking.com is a tutoring service that is part of the educational company Pearson. The company specializes in online tutoring for students of varying ages and abilities.
If you meet the requirements, then you can work from home as an online tutor for Smarthinking.
As a tutor at Smartthinking, you are responsible for tutoring students in one of the following subjects:
- Math and Statistics
- Computers and Technology
- Nursing and Allied Health
You can tutor students at any level, from developmental to undergraduate to graduate-level.
Qualifications and Requirements
To be a tutor at Smarthinking you must fit the following criteria:
- Have a computer with Internet access
- Be able to work on a set weekly schedule – generally between 8 to 19 hours per week. This is based on your own scheduling preferences.
- Hold at least a bachelor’s degree.
- Have some teaching experience.
Kaplan offers online tutoring to college students. So, the organization is always looking for college-level online instructors.
The company offers part-time and full-time teaching opportunities in a range of fields and subject areas, including:
- Software development
- data science
- test preparation
- real estate,
- healthcare courses and more.
Simply visit the organization’s job page to view current career opportunities.
11. Manhattan Prep
Manhattan Prep is an educational preparation company, which offers online courses and private tutoring.
The company offer test prep for the GMAT, GRE, LSAT, and ACT/SAT.
And, it hires online instructors.
As an instructor, it is your role to provide test prep tutoring. You can use the company’s curriculum as is, to teach, but you can also modify and enhance it as you see necessary.
And, you can set your own schedule. You can teach as little as three hours per week.
In order to become a teacher at Manhattan Prep, you must meet the following criteria:
- 99th percentile GMAT, LSAT, GRE or SAT score
- Extensive teaching experience.
- Be willing to sign a non-compete, which means you agree to teach solely at Manhattan Prep
- Have a flexible schedule, especially during the evenings and weekends.
How to Apply
Manhattan Prep is pretty stringent when it comes to choosing its instructors. But, it pays well in return.
Instructors at Manhattan Prep get $116 per hour, plus end-of-year bonuses.
To apply, fill out an application form for the test you plan on tutoring for – here are the applications for each type of test prep tutoring:
After that, you will need to undergo a pretty extensive hiring process.
This is the hiring process:
- You must submit a 7 to 10 minute video that demonstrates how you would teach an assigned issue.
- You must undergo an online audition, where you meet one-on-one with an evaluator to teach one to two assigned problems.
- You’ll have to complete a small group audition online. You meet with two evaluators and you’ll teach both of them one or two assigned problems.
- Finally, you’ll need to complete an in-person audition. The company will fly you to New York, where you’ll teach several class lessons and exercises.
Colleges and Universities
The Anne Arundel Community College is a college that offers degrees, certificates, continuing education and distance learning.
Online, the college’s students can study a range of non-credit distance education courses.
And, the site hires online faculty members to teach its courses online.
If would like you would like to become an online educator at the college, then you need to complete an application.
The application form should list your experience and qualifications.
You also need to submit a cover letter and your resume.
If you want to teach online at AACC, then you will need to complete training prior to your first online teaching assignment.
To view current openings at the AACC, visit the university websites’ job openings page.
13. South University
South University, founded in 1899, provides courses and degrees to students both online and offline.
Most of the university’s programs are focused on business and health subjects.
South University offers a range of online faculty positions. As one of the university’s online faculty members, you work in an online classroom from your present location.
To be eligible for a position at South University, you must have:
- A master’s degree
- Previous teaching experience – previous online teaching experience is also preferred, but not essential.
- Your own computer equipment and Internet access.
Some industry experience is preferred for program-specific courses.
How to Apply
To get a job as an online faculty member at the university, you need to:
- Download and review the university’s Employment Info packet
- Complete the faculty application
- Complete an online faculty development course and orientation prior to teaching.
14. Ashworth College
Ashworth College provides a range of on career-focused courses, certificate programs, and associate, bachelor’s and master’s degree programs online.
The college offers online teaching positions to qualified candidates. If you plan on teaching degree programs, then you need a bachelor’s or master’s degree in the field you are interested in instructing for.
As an online faculty member, you work remotely, as a part-time, independent contractor.
If you want to apply for a job with the college, then send your cover letter and resume to [email protected]
The University of Maryland University College is a regionally accredited public university. It offers more than 95 online bachelor’s degrees, master’s degrees and certificates.
As the university hires online adjunct/part-time faculty members, it’s a great place to find online teaching opportunities.
You can teach in a wide range of disciplines, from accounting to visual arts.
Visit the site’s job opening page to view and apply for online adjunct faculty positions.
The University of Phoenix provides both campus and online degree programs.
At University of Phoenix students can earn an associate, bachelor’s, master’s or even a doctoral degree online.
So, it’s a good institution for online teaching opportunities.
As with most well-established universities, the University of Phoenix has pretty rigorous standards when it comes to hiring.
You must have at least a master’s-level degree or higher. And, you must also have experience as a working professional.
The Western Governors University is an accredited university that provides online bachelors and master’s degree programs.
If you have the right set of skills, qualifications and experience, then you could get a job as one of the university’s online course mentors.
As one of the site’s mentors, you will need to teach students in one of the following:
- Teacher education
- Information technology
- Health professions including nursing.
In order to be an online mentor at the Western Governors University, you must have at least a bachelor’s degree.
But, for many positions, a master’s or doctoral degree is preferred or even required in some cases.
You also need relevant industry experience.
To find online teaching job opportunities, simply visit the site’s job page, and look through the featured mentoring online faculty jobs.
The American Public University is a higher education institution. It consists of the American Public University (APU) and American Military University (AMU).
This regionally and nationally accredited university offers full-time and part-time online faculty jobs.
If you’re interested in getting an online teaching job with the American Public University, then visit the site’s career page. This page includes a list of the university’s current job openings.
You can then apply to the job that interests you.
Alternatively, if there isn’t one job opening in particular that interests you, then you can upload your resume by clicking on “Submit Your Resume”.
This will submit your candidate profile, and enter your information into the university’s resume database. It won’t be associated with one specific job posting, but it will be considered for future jobs that match your experience and skillset.
Another university that offers online teaching jobs is Argosy University. The university needs adjunct college professors and other faculty to work with its students online.
The university offers a wide range of online faculty positions.
As an online faculty member you’ll need to work with one of the university’s full-time faculty members. You have a range of responsibilities:
- Teaching college-level students in an interactive course, which includes lectures, discussions, individual/group assignments, and critiques.
- Aiding students with difficult concepts and offer personalized feedback on assignments.
- You must login to the online classroom five days per week, without missing two consecutive days, to teach students and facilitate discussion.
- In your online classroom, you must make your contact information available to all students – including your email address, phone number, and your IM address and Skype address, if used.
- You must set three “virtual” office hours – these provide set days/times where students can ask questions or seek assistance.
- You must respond to any questions from students within 24 hours during the week and 48 hours during the weekend.
- Previous teaching experience – experience in online teaching is also preferred, but not required.
- A master’s degree for undergraduate programs
- A doctoral degree for master’s and doctoral programs.
You need to have your own computer equipment, as the university does not provide it to online faculty members.
How to Apply
Before you apply for a position, download and read the Argosy University’s employment info packet, and then fill out an application form.
You must also be willing to complete an online faculty development course and orientation before you begin teaching.
Capella University is a higher education institution in Minneapolis, Minnesota. It offers accredited online PhD, doctorate, master’s, and bachelor’s degrees.
To find job openings at the university, visit its career page. There, the university regularly posts jobs for instructors, faculty chairs, core faculty and adjunct faculty positions.
Herzing University is a higher educational institution located in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. It awards diplomas/certificates, associate degrees, bachelor’s degrees and master’s degrees in a wide range of different subjects.
The university teaches its students both on campus and online, meaning it often has job openings for online adjunct faculty – most of these positions are listed as “remote”.
But, some of the university’s telecommuting positions may require you to spend some time in the office as well.
All you need to do to find online teaching position with the university is visit its job openings page, and apply for the job that interests you.
Southern New Hampshire University, also known as SNHU, is a university located between Manchester and Hooksett, New Hampshire.
It offers both undergraduate and graduate courses. In addition to offering on-campus education, the SNHU also offers online courses. Online, through the university’s College of Online and Continuing Education (COCE) students can obtain the following degree levels:
And, the university requires online teachers to teach these courses through it’s
The SNHU offers online adjunct faculty positions. Online instructors are responsible for teaching assignments, providing support to students, aiding students in meeting their educational goals and providing an all-round, high-quality academic experience.
Qualifications and Requirements
As an instructor, you must:
- Be active in the online classroom five out of seven days per week
- Be able to respond to students within 24 hours
- Live in and be authorized to work in the United States
- Have the minimum of a conferred master’s degree in the field you wish to teach.
How to Apply
To become an online instructor at the SNHU, you must first review the university’s course descriptions.
Then, you need to complete an online instructor application form, and attach your resume for review.
If the university doesn’t have an immediate need for an instructor with your background and experience, it will keep your application on file for future job openings.
The ITT Technical Institute is a technical institute with more than 130 campuses across the United States.
The institute offers both on-campus and online learning in subjects like technology, business and criminal justice.
Jobs for online instructors are available from the ITT Technical Institute. All you need to do is visit the site’s careers page, and search through the listings.
Laureate International Universities are universities and colleges that are owned and operated by Laureate Education, Inc.
Currently, the company runs a network of more than 80 institutions, both campus-based and online.
As the company hires both virtual and on-site staff, it’s a great option if you’re looking for an online teaching job. For most of the jobs, you will need to have at least a Master’s degree.
To find an online position, with Laureate International simply, visit the career’s section of the site, and then type the word “virtual” into the keyword search bar.
The University of California Berkeley is one of the most well-known colleges in the U.S. But, it doesn’t just offer campus-based learning.
With UC Berkeley Extension, students can get a comprehensive education from a word-class institution all online.
And, the university requires online teachers to teach these courses.
As an online instructor with UC Berkeley Extension, you teach students in a variety of college and graduate level courses.
Qualifications and Requirements
If you want to get an online teaching job with the UC Berkeley Online Extension, then you must meet the following criteria:
- Have extensive professional experience in your field
- Have teaching or training experience in a classroom environment and/or online.
- Most of the university’s positions require at least a master’s degree, but some require a doctorate. It’s ideal if you have some experience with online education as well.
How to Apply
If you’d like to get an online position with the university, then send your résumé/CV and course proposal to [email protected]
B) Educational Job Sites
GetEducated.com is a website that allows students to review, rate, rank and compare online colleges.
The site has an impressive 13 years’ experience in educational recruitment. It connects educators with teaching opportunities.
GetEducated.com lists positions in distance learning on its job openings page.
If you’re looking for an online teaching job, then this page is an incredibly valuable resource.
The editors at GetEducated.com gather jobs from around the web and post them on the site’s job board. Open positions are also sent in by university HR reps and headhunters.
It saves you the time searching the web for opportunities, and does the heavy lifting for you!
The job board, which is free to use, lists around 50 to 70 faculty positions at a time. These positions are in a variety of subjects. The job board is updated twice per week, so there are always fresh leads.
You can also advertise your services on the site.
All you need to do is create an ad for yourself to run on the site’s Available Online Teacher and Instructor Listings. Recruiters check these listings for qualified candidates when they have a teaching job opening to fill.
HigherEdJobs is an invaluable resource if you’re considering online teaching. The website is aimed at higher education professionals. It boasts thousands of faculty and staff positions, for hundreds of colleges and universities across the country.
And, of course, it lists plenty of online job openings.
All you need to do is visit the Online/Remote Jobs section. There you’ll find a huge list of online teaching jobs. The site’s listings are updated daily, and it is completely free to use.
You can also make use of the site’s advanced search function to narrow your results by criteria like subject area, full-time vs part-time or type of college
28. Inside Higher Ed
Inside Higher Ed is another website that caters to higher education teachers. It posts a huge selection of college-level teaching jobs. And, while many of the site’s job openings are for brick and mortar positions, it also lists online teaching jobs.
You can also filter the listings shown by criteria like subject area, employment type, and institution type.
If you want to find online teaching jobs quickly, then use the site’s search function and check the box next to “working from home”.
Inside Higher Ed updates its job listings frequently. So, make sure that you check back often.
You can also set up job alerts, and you’ll get new online teaching job openings emailed to you when they’re posted. This is a pretty handy feature!
The Chronicle of Higher Education is a website that provides weekly news, as well as job opportunities to college and university faculty members, administrators, and students.
Offering a fairly extensive job database, the site is a great resource if you’re on the hunt for teaching jobs. Its job database includes online teaching jobs in addition to location-based positions.
But, unfortunately, unlike other teaching job databases, the Chronicle of Higher Education database doesn’t allow you to narrow your search results to include only remote, online, or work from home jobs.
Instead, you’ll need to do a bit of digging around and sort through the results yourself.
The best, and arguably quickest, way to find online positions on the COHE is to narrow your search to include only results from community colleges, as these are more likely to require online teachers.
Also, consider entering phrases like “online teaching”, “online adjunct”, “online faculty” or “remote teaching” in quotes into the search bar. This will bring up results that include those specific phrases in the job description.
Academic Careers Online is a global academic job site. It posts teaching, education, research, and professional jobs in education and academia.
On the site, you can search through a range of online teaching positions at colleges, universities, research institutes and schools.
K-12 Schools and Academies
Williamsburg Academy is an accredited, online classical high school and project-based middle school.
The academy states that all of its members have the freedom to be creative, and develop new systems, methods and courses.
Visit the academy’s jobs page to view current positions. If there are currently no positions listed, then you can send your resume and qualifications to the academy to keep on file.
The California Virtual Academies is a network of public of charter schools. This network of 10 virtual academies provides individualized, standards-based education for students in the state of California.
And, it offers online teaching opportunities to certified K-12 teachers.
You can find current job openings at the California Virtual Academies on its careers page.
To be eligible for a position with the network, you must:
- Live in California
- Have a valid CA teaching credential
- Have NCLB compliancy for the subject you teach
- Have a CA certification to teach ELL students from the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC)
If you’re looking for an online teaching job, then you should definitely take a look at the Connections Academy.
Connections Academy schools are accredited, online public schools. They are tuition free and offer online education to students in grades K–12. The academy also develops online curriculums and individualized learning plans.
In order to be eligible for a job as a teacher with the academy, you must be a certified elementary or secondary teacher. The company educates students in a wide range of states, so there are many jobs available across the country.
If you’re looking for an online teaching job, then consider working with the John Hopkins Center for talented youth.
The CTY is a gifted education program for K-12 students at John Hopkins University.
Many of the center’s instructors teach online, in telecommuting positions.
As an instructor you:
- Set assignments
- Create progress reports and evaluations
- Provide feedback on student writing
Check the center’s job page for open positions.
K12 is an education company that provides online learning programs and curriculum for tuition-free, virtual public schools, as well as homeschooling. The company offers online learning to students in grades K through 12, and requires online teachers to either teach or create its curriculum.
Through the site’s job listings page, you can find a wide range of virtual education jobs.
The Florida Virtual School is an accredited, online public school for students in grades K-12.
And, the school offers a range of online teaching positions.
As one of the site’s instructional staff member, you’ll work with one-on-one with students.
For most of the school’s positions, you will need at least a bachelor’s degree, as well as teaching experience.
And, for some of the site’s jobs, you’ll need a valid Florida Professional Teaching Certificate
C) Other Places
BrainMass is an online community that brings together academic experts and students who are looking for answers to questions. The website offers tutoring, homework help and library services across all subjects.
And, as a BrainMass Academic Expert, you get paid.
As a BrainMass Academic Expert, it’s your job to create content that assists students, including:
- Custom Help Service: If students can’t find the answer to a question through their own resources, or in the site’s Solution and eBook Libraries, then they can ask you for help directly. You get compensation for the assistance you offer, based on how complex the problem is. Also, if your response is approved by the site’s editors, it will be entered into the Solution Library, where it will be available for resale. So, you can earn additional income for any future downloads.
- Academic eBooks: BrainMass offers “Need to Know” eBooks that help students to understand key concepts in the subjects they study. As an expert on the site, you can create these eBooks, using the templates provided. And, you get paid for every download.
When students pay for your answers or eBook, you get a commission. This commission varies, depending on your experience on the site. New experts get paid 60% of the credit value they receive for their first ten responses. After, that you’ll get 70% commission.
To become an Academic Expert, you need to be currently working on, or hold a Masters or PhD degree from an accredited university.
How to Apply
If you want to be an expert on the site, then complete the following application process:
- Complete the registration form.
- Learn the requirements that BrainMass has of its Academic Experts by watching training videos and participating in a quiz.
- Send your credentials to prove your educational background.
Instructional Connections is a company that provides instructional support services to colleges and universities that offer online education.
The site hires part-time, independent contractors, who work with students and other faculty.
As one of the site’s online coaches, you work with students in a number of ways:
- You facilitate course content
- Offer online student support
- Monitor student engagement
- Facilitate course discussion
- Collaborate with university faculty
As a coach, you may also have to grade assignments.
As an Academic Coach on Instructional Connections, you can teach a wide range of subjects, from mathematics to educational law.
39. Rosetta Stone
Rosetta Stone is an education technology software company that offers language learning software.
And the company needs native speakers to act as online tutors.
As a tutor for Rosetta Stone you are responsible for facilitating language classes for beginner to advanced students.
In addition to being able to fluently speak the language you plan on teaching, you also need to:
- Be adept at using technology
- Have internet access
- Own a personal computer
- Be flexible with your hours to accommodate students.
How to Apply
You can visit the job section on the Rosetta Stone website to find openings. But, the company also posts many of its online job openings on Indeed, which you can view here, and on Flexjobs, which you can view here.
Teach for America, or TFA, is an educational organization. It refers to itself as a “national teacher corps of recent college graduates who commit two years to teach and to effect change in under-resourced urban and rural public”.
The company hires seasoned professionals, recent college students, and lifetime educators, as a well as those who are new to the education sector.
Many of the organization’s jobs are classroom based, but many are virtual positions too.
So, check out the Teach for America jobs page for current openings. If you don’t see a current opening that suits your needs, you can also submit your resume to the company and answer a few short questions.
TFA will keep your resume on file and reach out to you if a suitable position opens up.
41. Universal Class
Universal Class is a company that provides online courses and continuing education. services.
It wants to improve existing course offerings and expand its online course catalog. And, it needs people to help them to do this by creating instructional videos.
These videos are designed for use in the site’s online courses.
So, you if you’re qualified and experienced, then you could create video tutorials for Universal Class, on a wide range of subjects, from digital photography to computer training.
You can earn around $20 per edited minute.
Qualifications and Requirements
On the site, you’ll find a wide range of video tutorial jobs to bid on. And, the qualifications and requirements you need to be eligible for these tutorials vary from project to project.
But, for most tutorial jobs, you need to meet the following criteria:
- You’ll need to have experience and/or qualifications in the subject you’re creating a video on.
- You need to know how to properly film and edit video.
- If it’s a software tutorial job, you will need desktop screen casting software and a microphone.
How to Apply
The application process for Universal Class is slightly different to most online education websites.
First, view the site’s open projects. Once you see a project that interests you, you need to submit an online proposal.
You proposal needs to include:
- Details about your expertise for the project
- A YouTube video that demonstrates the skills that you have to bring to the project.
- The amount you need to be paid to complete the outlined project.
If the site likes your proposal they will contact you and provide more details on how to proceed.
Universal Class states that it awards projects based on a range of factors, including:
- Video quality
- Sound quality
The site also recommends that you only bid on the projects that you’re an expert in, are passionate about and have years of experience doing.
LinkedIn is a social media site designed for professionals. With this business-oriented social networking site, you can build your professional network and find job opportunities.
And, it’s an excellent resource for online teaching jobs in particular.
There are hundreds of listings for online teaching jobs on the site – you just need to know how to find them!
Here are a few ways to find teaching opportunities:
- Set up your job preferences – make sure you choose education related industries. Then click on the jobs tab, and view current job openings – these will reflect your preferences.
- Again, click on the jobs tab, but this time, enter the phrase “online teaching” into the job search bar. You can also use other similar terms, like “online instructor” or “online tutor”. You could also try entering additional terms, like “work from home” or “remote”.
- Look at and join LinkedIn groups to find online teaching positions. Consider joining or looking at the following groups:
So, if you don’t have one already, then consider setting up a LinkedIn account. It doesn’t take too long.
All you need to do is write a professional profile about yourself, and add your education and previous experience. Essentially, a LinkedIn profile is like an online resume.
43. Employment Search Engine Websites
One of the best ways to find online teaching jobs is through employment search engine websites, like:
Universities, colleges, tutoring companies and a variety of other educational organizations post listings for online teaching jobs on the above websites.
So, it’s always worth taking a look at those sites to see if there are any opportunities that match your skillset and experience.
Searching through these sites can seem a bit overwhelming. But, fortunately, many of them have filters that you can use to narrow your results.
When you are looking for jobs, make sure that you use the right keywords. Try searching for each of the following keywords:
- “online teaching”
- “online adjunct”
- “online instructor”
- “online tutor”
Adding keywords like “remote”, “work from home” or “telecommute” to your searches can really help too.
It’s a good idea to use quotes around your search phrases, as this will bring up job postings that include those exact terms.
Some employment search engine sites use “remote” or “virtual” as a location, which makes finding online jobs much easier. And, others allow you to filter the results to just telecommuting positions.
The Internet has really expanded the number of teaching opportunities out there for educators.
So, if you’re looking to trade the brick and mortar classroom for an online classroom, or you’d like to take your first steps into a career as a teacher consider applying for a position on one of these 43 sites.